1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD vs DLP

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ClickHere2Surf., Jan 13, 2002.

1. ClickHere2Surf.

ClickHere2Surf.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wich is best for DVD/Games? LCD or DLP?

Also, what exactly is the rainbow effect produced by DLP and it is more or less annoying than the screen effect of LCD?

Thanks

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    If you can see the rainbow effect on a DLP projector, then it makes watching it extremely distracting (to the point where I just wouldn't).

If you can't see the effect (and most people can't), then by definition it is not noticeable.

Cheers,
    Liam

3. ClickHere2Surf.

ClickHere2Surf.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What exactly is the rainbow effect? Do you see it all the time? If it over the entire screen?

Are there any pictures of what rainbow effect looks like?

Thanks

4. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you like spending a lot of money on Home Cinema then I would choose a projector which has long bulb life and is cheap to replace. Depending on how long you spend playing games 2000 hours will easily be used up compared to using a projector for watching Movies only.

If you do a search I borrowed a Infocus lp350 DLP projector (I own a £1299 LCD XGA Sony VPL-CX1 from PC World) and I did'nt notice the rainbow effect on the projector loaned to me. Even though the DLP had far higher lumens brightness I only noticed it more on say Toy Story but both projectors gave great pictures. I must admit I was VERY dissapointed with the black level of the DLP projector, even though on paper it had twice the brightness of my Sony projector the black level was worse imho.

As I use my projector with a computer I use the DSUB connector which gives imho a vast improvement in picture quality over svideo input. If you were planning on playing games alot on the projector I would look at the projector posted a few days ago which had 5000 hour bulb life? (cant remember the name) or the Sony VPL-CS1 which has a very cheap replacement bulb with 2000 hours of use.

HTH
    James

p.s Even if you don't see the DLP rainbow effect on a projector (which some people don't) you can guarantee to see it if you simply scan your eyes around the picture when looking at the projected image and you see a sort of 'rainbow of colours' but its so short it didnt bother me and I never scan my eyes deliberatly when watching films!...however on games you probably would?

5. ClickHere2Surf.

ClickHere2Surf.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm almost 100% sure I'll get the Nec VT45 projector.

It has 300:1 contrast, 1000 lumens, supports up to SXGA (SVGA native, but has excellent compression) and bulbs are $245 for 1000 hours of 2000 hours in economy mode (I will probably use it in economy most of the time and only use normal on sunny days).

Is this a good projector for videos and games?

Thanks

6. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never seen that projector in action so difficult to say, its best to read as much as possible about it on the web

http://www.projectorcentral.com/consultants_corner.cfm?ci=nec_vt45 is a good start

It's native 800x600 (SVGA) resolution will let it down unless its plugged into a console?, I`m also not sure how it compares with the Sony VPL-CS1 game/home cinema projector which will probably have a cheaper bulb?. The reason I went for the Sony VPL-CX1 is because it has native XGA (1024x768) resolution which is great for PC use (dvd or games/tv etc)

http://www.projectorcentral.com/consultants_corner.cfm?ci=lcd_dlp is a good read too.

Remember with LCD and SVGA (800x600) native you will see more screen door so be at least 10 foot back? from the screen, I get no screendoor from about 9 foot on a XGA (1024x768) projector) although my viewing distance is usually 14-16 feet.

HTH

James

8. ClickHere2Surf.

ClickHere2Surf.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you mean by this?

Anyway it will be connected to my PC's VGA connector all the time for TV, Games and DVDs.

Are there any projectors below $2000 that would be better than the VT45?

Thanks

9. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have only seen the Infocus lp350 DLP and Sony VPL-CX1 in the flesh (apart from many projectors at presentations/shows/conferences etc) so the only way really is to view different projectors yourself it that possible. Everyone has their own preferences.

The reason why I said 800x600 would let it down (in my opinion) is because it has fewer pixels than 1024x768 therefore projected on to a wall in theory you should see the pixel structure.

Again some projectors show more screen door than others but imho going XGA will avoid this unless your 8 foot from the screen. Its my preference but the only time I would use a 800x600 projector is if I didnt want to plug it into my PC (to give a progressive scan signal) and just wanted it straight from my console/consumer DVD player. The reasoning behind this is that a consumer dvd/console player would use its native 800x600 resolution but on a XGA projector it would force the projector down to 800x600 and imho most if not all internal scalers on projectors are CRAP!

If you can view the projector or borrow one from a retailer for the weekend I highly suggest it, I think we spent about 6-8 months investigating which projector would be best for home use (TV/DVD use). Im just glad we did'nt get that Toshiba 40whob RPTV!

:D

10. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    I see it on the Sim2 HT200 and HT250 about once every 5-10 seconds. It is a very brief (I guess about 1/50th second) flash of multicoloured light. It doesn't cover the whole screen, but it does occur pretty much where I'm looking, so it is very distracting. It is at its worst in high-contrast, slow panning scenes.

Note that some DPL projectors are worse than others - I only noticed the rainbow effect on the Sim2 HT200DM once during a 5 minute demo.

It will either be a problem (if you see it) or it won't be (if you don't). The advice I would give you is to go along for a demo of units you are interested in (along with anyone else that is likely to watch anything on your projector).

Cheers,
    Liam

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803