1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD VS DLP projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by wes2008, Oct 13, 2004.

1. wes2008

wes2008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

From my understanding is that DLP produces better picture quality than the LCD projector. But on this forum I see a lot of people favour AE700 LCD projector. I am a newbie as I am still searching for a projector. Can someone please share some light as to why AE700 is so popular and why people going for LCD over DLP?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    The primary reason for avoiding DLP is the rainbow artefact. This only affects some people and those who aren't affected can be wholly happy with their purchase. However those who are can be anywhere between passively aware of it and actually nauseated. For this last reason, then, I'd say it is hugely important to ensure that you (and anyone else who will share your hobby with you) aren't going to be so affected. Not all DLPs are the same so look at the one you intend to buy.

The primary reason for avoiding LCD is that traditionally, they have had problems showing dark areas - these tend to be grey. However newer models (Panasonic 700 and the forthcoming Sony - see HomeCinemaChoice's news page) have contrast levels to contend with the best that DLP can offer. This effect will never be unsettling (as rainbows may be). Another areftact of LCD (less so with DLP) is the visibility of the pixel grid structure - referred to as chickenwire or screendoor, and, again, with newer models, higher pixel counts and other techniques mitigate against this.

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi and welcome to the forums.....

Did you come to that conclusion by looking at different projectors ? If you did, then you should buy whichever DLP projector you like and ignore the fact that other people choose different projectors. If you've formed that opinion by reading magazines/whatever, then I would recommend that you decide how much you want to spend on a projector and go to see DLP and LCD projectors in that price range.... then make your mind up which projector you want.

One technology is not (necessarily) better than the other - some projectors are better than others but there are a whole lot of factors at play, the needs of the person buying, their opinion of what the picture quality from different projectors is like etc. etc.

The AE700 is the latest projector on the market so there's lots of chat about it at the moment.... if you read back though the forum you'll find that last year there was a similar periods where other projectors were "flavour of the month". Go look at some projectors.... make up your own mind....

S.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27