1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD vs. CRT

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by KiNeSiS, Jul 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. KiNeSiS

KiNeSiS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have been looking at these two possibilites (to go with my freshly ordered Pioneer DH530 DVD Recorder) and have a few (3) questions:

Sony KD-28DX200 vs. Sony KLV-27HR3

[​IMG] [​IMG]

they are similar cash but am i gonna get a lot superiour quality with the CRT if i dont mind the extra physical size?

also has anyone got any idea why the KD28 is a good 300 quid more than the next CRT down in the pecking order? and am i right in thinking it does freeview without me having to buy a box and a few other things?

cheers peeps ;) - recommend away!

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    There are many people who believe, quite simply, that CRTs produce the best image.

As with so many things, if only it were that simple. They are probably better than LCDs at contrast. They may be more forgiving of poorer quality sources.

However - they tend to suffer some or all of:

- Poor geometry (circles not round, straight lines curved etc) - an LCD cannot suffer this
    - Poor convergence (coloured fringes around edges of objects) - an LCD cannot suffer this
    - Poor stability - image size changes with brightness; logos bounce around in their corner rather than staying still; so does the rest of the picture - an LCD cannot suffer this
    - greater power consumption, weight, size

This is all rather subjective. And the TV you see in the shop may well not be as good (or as bad) as the one you buy.

It's a choice you will have to make for yourself. I would choose (have chosen, in fact) the LCD route.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Depends on what you mean by "superior quality".

The LCD screen will have far better screen geometry, and will not suffer from the "balloon effect" (screen size altering with brightness), and you shouldn't see any flicker.

On the other hand, a CRT screen will give "blacker blacks", have a better usable viewing angle, and (arguably) give a better colour rendition than LCD.

It's really up to what's important to you.

4. KiNeSiS

KiNeSiS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok well lets start at the beginning cuz i dont really know what i want...

• the crt up top is of the "digital" range, does this make it better from the lcd or is the lcd by default a digital tv? what advantages are there to DTV?

• HDTV - is it just a case of having a HDTV compliant tv and you get the better quality? or is it something that has to be broadcase by the network? - is it worth getting?

• i want freeview, but the crt seems to have it built in whereas the lcd doesnt, yet it is a DTV right?

someone put me right on these points please cuz i obviously aint got a clue :p

5. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    Neither of these sets are equipped for future High Definition broadcasts if that is of importance to you. The CRT is a good set, but it is not 'digital' in the full sense of the word. It simply incorporates a Freeview circuit to pick up the signals available in your area and turn them into a conventional CRT picture. You are right in saying that the LCD does not have the Freeview on board. It is capable of displaying a digital picture from Satellite, Cable etc but it is not HDTV Ready in that it does not meet all the specification. These sets are being heavily discounted because the new Sony Range, due in Aug/Sept, will be HDTV spec sets.

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The CRT TV is very good and will be one of the last from Bridgend (RIP)