1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD vs CRT, which wins on Standard Broadcast?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Scoobiesnacks, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Scoobiesnacks

Scoobiesnacks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    LCD vs CRT ?

A year ago there was a thread along these lines. CRT came out the winner by general consensus.

In the meantime things have moved on, the new Philips 32pf9830 , the new Samsung r41 and new Panasonic models in particular

Has anyone got an LCD yet in their lounge, that they think doesn't look artificial and is better than a good CRT on standard broadcast? ie Freeview or Sky?

Why do I ask, well I'm stuck making a decision and I'm yet to have the experience of seeing an LCD on standard broadcast that looks half decent (in part due to problems with the ways stores are demonstrating LCDs using shared component inputs, but that's a different thread)

2. smallmanongn

smallmanongn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me again!
    I would LCDs take a bit of getting used to,CRTs tend to look radioactive in that they are massively bright yet LCDs look a lot tamer and dont appear overly bright.
    As for material I was watching Top Of The Pops just via Sky and a SVHS connection to my LG and given the bright nature of the show I thought it looked stunning.
    On the other hand you get some older programs they can look rough but that is down to the age of the source material,also people tend to buy larger LCDs than CRTs so any nasties in the picture appear worse
    I would say sit at a sensible distance as well,I had to move mine back on the stand as far as it would go and move the sofa back about 1ft before the picture started to look right.
    LCDs are a bit like a painting,stand to close and you see the brush marks yet get a sensible distance away and the picture blends together and looks better.

3. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    A normal CRT can camouflage a lot of imperfections in a source, LCDs and higher-res plasmas can't hide them because this technology is ultra-accurate in its nature...hell even on a CRT with a freeview box connected via RGB SCART you can tell the difference among sources with commercials and movies looking the best compared to say news footage from accross the Atlantic which has passed a whole set of conversions and re-cuts...it's a bloody shame that LCDs are usually connected to bad RF feeds or composite freeview so they look rubish because they get all the imperfections of analogue PAL interlaced video revealed...

4. igauk

igauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    From what I've read and seen I think the gap has closed, particularly with the latest top end LCDs, but I think CRT still shades it on SD broadcasts, which is what most people watch most of the time. You certainly don't get an equivalent CRT picture for equivalent price with LCD, which is the crucial comparison. From what I can tell the only aspect where LCD has a consistent advantage over CRT is geometry.

5. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

Go check out the Sharp P50 series which has a resolution that is almost identical to CRT and has a very fast 12ms response rate.

6. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    My SammyLE32R51BD beats any CRT pic I have had. Its brilliant with freeview. :D