1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD vs CRT and JVC LT-23E31

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by jw191yorkacuk, Jan 10, 2004.

1. jw191yorkacuk

jw191yorkacuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am new to forums so I hope iI do this right.

I recently bought a Sony KV-28FQ70 CRT and was disapointed by the poor picture quality (specifically moving pictures and especially sport live football). The set also had a loud noise from the tude which I have found to be called Line Noise. I urge anyone who is going to buy a Sony CRT to listen for this noise as I had to return my set because I could not comfortably watch it after hearing this.

Anyway, I got a little of track there. I am looking to replace this set with a 23inch LCD. I am a student and don't have a lot of money, so anything much over a grand is probably too expensive. The main one I am interested in is JVC's LT-23E31. The specs for this set look good on paper but I can't find any reviews online. Does nayone own this set and what do the think of the picture quality compared to CRT. Does it work alright for fast moving action scenes.

Does anyone have an alternative LCD which the chose over the JVC and if so why.

Thank you all

2. Arsenal

Arsenal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmm the JVC's are quite good from what i've seen (although have only seen the 17" and 26" versions), but i have to say if main complaints about your CRT were moving pictures and sport in particular, then i don't think LCD technology is going to be for you.. AFAIK LCD is considered the worst currently available technology for sports and fast moving pictures in general.. and CRT should be the best?! So i'm not sure what the best solution is for you.. maybe find a CRT that suffers less from "Line Noise" (although i thought that was a problem on phone lines??)..

3. jomppa

jomppa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have also been looking for a good 17-23" LCD. After seeing many 17" TVs have decided that a 23" is better.

The 23" JVC has very few reviews though. I do know that it only has 1 tuner and so DOES NOT have picture in picture PIP unlike the 26" version and a slightly lower PC resolution than say the LG 23 Z20.

Some UK shops and some german shops have recently reduced this JVC model - why I don't know ... maybe there is a newer JVC 23" in the pipeline.

:rolleyes:

4. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The issues you have with the picture quality of the Sony are fairly common complaints about 100hz tv's. The processing found on these sets often causes more harm than good for many buyers.

Unless you are sensive to 50hz flicker, it might be worthwhile checking out some 50hz sets before looking at LCD screens.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some of the picture quality issues which some people find unappealing about 100hz tv's also apply to LCD screens, and as Arsenal points out, fast moving sports may look no better (or quite possibly worse) than they did on the Sony 100hz CRT.

5. smartiepants

smartiepants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

I agree with everything here 50Hz rules I have not yet seen a plasma or LCD picture thats as good as & conventional 50Hz tv
    Its strange that when you go to demo & LCD or plasma they usually show digitally animated films such as Ice age, finding Nemo, Monsters inc as these do look good but put a "regular film" on & the faults start to show
    sorry guys to dis LCD & plasmas but its a fact
    & yes i do own & regular 50Hz TV a LCD screen & projector so have been able to compare

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Plasma and LCD are still in the 'lifestyle' category rather than 'videophile', CRT is definitely better, but of course there are usually other factors. I have yet to see a 'better' LCD than the Sharp in this size range, and though I haven't looked at pricing recently, I should think they are on budget, and worth a look. They do a 22" widescreen. JVC will be using a Samsung panel I expect, like sony in fact. Not a big Samsung fan, though I suppose they get better all the time.