Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

LCD versus Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by laser, Mar 29, 2005.

1. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Looking round for a new TV I have been amazed at the general poor picture quality of 32inch LCD TV sets compared to plasma TV's even when they have been setup correctly to a dedicated DVD player via HDMI or component in a hi-fi shop and not Curry's or Comet.

I don't understand how many of the home cinema magazines come to the conclusion that some LCD TV sets offer stunning picture quality as I've yet to see one which has truly impressed me. Pictures from DVD quite often look pixelated, have solarisation, image lag and do not even offer true 16:9 ratio, many being 15:9 or 14:9 and so crop or expand the image.

Plasma IMHO appears to offer much better picture quality with DVD, terrrestial, anagloue and Freeview at today's resolution which will be with us for another 5 years at least.

The one point that LCD has impressed me with is connection to a PC. This leads me to believe that some of the problems with LCD TV's are due to today's media being of a low resolution in comparison to what the TV can display. Until high definition DVD's and Sky come on stream, LCD TV's will not come into their own.

It does make me wonder if many of the people who buy LCD TV's only do so because they are slim and trendy and don't even bother looking at the picture quality cos I don't know how they can put up with watching some of the pictures I've seen even from LCD sets from Sony, Paansonic and Samsung.

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,625
    That's was close - you nearly mentioned Panasonic...

Oh Bugga :rotfl:

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I'd agree with that broadly speaking. I've been running a Sharp 26" for a few days, tried freeview on scart, DVD via scart and s-video (component didn't work) and a PC game, which was brilliant, the others less so. I did a demo the other day with a sharp 37" monitor and a DVDO Iscan HD+, now that did work, the best LCD picture I have seen. Shame on the rest, picture noise, unrealistic over saturated colours, like a Pioneer plasma out of the box but on steroids! And not much you can do about it. Mind you, plasmas were pretty crappy not so long ago, it might well be the shape of things to come.

4. Bengbeng

Bengbeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Nice thing about LCD is that it can do 720p native, no 42" or smaller Plasma can do that. Even some screens can do 1080p. With HD material a LCD blows a Plasma out of the water in terms of image sharpness. On the contrary it's lacking details in black/dark scenes due to a low contrast ratio. Philips has announced a new LCD technology for this summer which will improve the cr.

Hard time now if you're in for a new screen. :)

5. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pixels ,pixels, pixels its always down to pixels with LCD .

contrast ratio ,contrast ratio,contrast ratio its always down to contrast ratio with Plasma.

Picture quality is not down to one or two or three things its far more complex than that. Some people are more sensitive to problems of one technology than others so become obsessed that they are right as its obvious to them.

I personaly like Plasma ..P.s since the dawn of TV, some one is always promising a new technology which is much better.

Laser i have a CRT monitor for my PC
    1 because i am a skin flint
    2 The picture quality is good to my eyes
    3 i play games and want quick response
    4 my son uses photo shop and "quality" small screen size LCD cost a fortune
    5 i dont need it to be slim
    6 viewing angle on cheaper LCD bugs me

I agree people buy because your expected to buy something slim and trendy looking and picture quality is not the highest thing on there list

6. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,625
    I have recently purchased a 17" TFT monitor for my PC (iiyama prolite E435), and the quality looks fantastic on the HD Windows media demos (Madagascar, Shark Tale, Meet the fockers).
    The specs only show a 350:1 contrast ratio, 350cd/m brightness, but it looks better than I thought after putting it side by side with my iiyama vision master pro 454 19" monitor - the TFT looks much better, and much brighter, and looks good on DVD due to the 10ms response time.
    The monitor was only £185 (scan) which I thought was reasonable for a quality one (iiyama prolite e435-s) and the difference between VGA and DVI connection is also very noticable, much much sharper on DVI.
    I hope when I eventually buy a plasma it is as bright and sharp as the TFT, then I will be a happy man.

7. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I would respect any specific personal lcd taste and entitled to your opinion... however this is totally opposite for me. I have never seen an LCD in SD or HD to totally blow out plasma on sharpness! Just the opposite

8. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sharp LCDs are known to be poor on anything less than their Component inputs, but I'm happy with my freeview RGB scart. Given that Freeview isn't the worlds greatest, the tv doens't make it any worse !

Philips and Loewe LCDs rectifiy this with good PQ on all inputs. Note that they also use the Sharp panels !

Me, I bought an LCD for a few reasons, not all in this order.

1. Hi Def Resolution. No Plasma at the time had this.
    2. Something slim. With only a small lounge, we needed to take out the CRT TV that was hunched in the corner. The LCD now hangs on the wall.
    3. Connectability to a PC. The wife being able to show pictures on the TV from the PC of whatever she wanted. Major WAF plus. Also the ability to watch HD movies.
    4. Decent picture quality. I'm happy with the RGB quality but I do know it could be a lot better. May source a scaler. Future proof for Hi Def signals be it from Sky, FTA or BD/HD-DVD.

A down side is that in an inch for inch comparison it was more expensive than a Plasma but the benefits to me were a lot more.

Richie.

9. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    As far as picture quality is concerned the LCD/plasma debate is surely really down to personal preference. It's been extremely well said here in the past (wish I could remember who it was to give credit) that plasma looks film-like while LCD looks more like video. I know LCD also used to have problems with fast-panning action (eg football). Is that still true or do the latest models fix that?

10. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The latest batch have a response time of 16ms which is good for 60hz. My Sharp is rated as <16ms (That could actually be 15.9ms though !) but the Tosh's are apparently rated at 12ms and there are new panels rated at 8ms somewhere.

11. Dunwa

Dunwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
  12. echo3

echo3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maw wrote: "unrealistic over saturated colours, like a Pioneer plasma out of the box but on steroids!"

If you think LCD suffers from this you should see an LSD screen, the colours are Psychadelic to say the least :)