1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD V Plasma

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by mwood, Jul 21, 2005.

1. mwood

mwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just want to know what are the benifits of LCD over Plasma and visa versa,

Which gives you the best picture quality.

this goes only for HD versions,

I will soon be buying my first one and depending on what is the best one i will go down that route.

The size of the screen i would be looking at is about 50" not bothered about cost mainly bothered about quality.

2. dpajur

dpajur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    er, don't get me wrong, but i doubt there's such a thing as 50" LCD screen!

looks like your choice is between plasma or rear projection, and if you want any sort of quality then it's plasma. :)

3. akki007

akki007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    a 50" tv? ha ha ha. What is the point in that?

4. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For long living rooms?

I know my living is too long for a 42" tv; from where we sit, the screen is at least 5-6 metres away..

Ben

5. sholao

sholao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In that case your only option as said before is Plasma or DLP, LCD not available at that size currently.

6. deeplyblue

deeplyblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Glad to see the smiley. I'm not in possession of a flat screen myself, dithering over technology as well as price and models. Recent trip to <shudder> Currys </shudder> I watched the Samsung DLP box showing Lord of the Rings Pt 2. Earlier bits had really good flesh tones, and when they starting showing the build-up to the battle of Helm's Deep, I was wowwed by the range and depth of the blacks (and there are a LOT of blacks just there).

Alas, I can't house a 50" screen - I'm supposed to be thinking in 32" terms, but anything that can show LOtR that well would be high on my shortlist. It even made it to the long list, despite the clear idiocy of my buying anything that big. I don't know how well it would take football, or Sky+. My needs revolve around DVDs and, possibly, PC use.

Try it for yourself, and take along a favourite DVD and get them to play it on several different machines, so you have a range of possibilities with your own eyeball test as a guide.

db

7. Bill S

Bill S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  8. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you actually taken a look at 32" lcds playing the same disc??

Give it a try and see what you think!! :)

Here's a few models you may wanna look at:

Hitachi 32LD7200
    Philips 32" 9986
    Panasonic 32" TX32LDX500 (i think)
    JVC 32" (don't know the model number, sorry!)

Ben

9. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am still trying to weigh up the options myself but it does to a degree depend on screen size.

In my case I am deciding between 32 inch and 37 inch with the latter at the moment winning!

That gives me an interesting dilemma because 37 inches seems the "crossover point" where some manufacturers switch to plasma while other stick with LCD.

The forthcoming Philips 37 inch (9830) seems to have a spec to die for with a full 1920x1080 screen - the current ultimate for high def.

However it shares the styling with the current 9986 and to be honest I don't much care for it and a TV is after all a bit of furnature that the other half has got to approve of as well.

One thing I have noticed with 37 inch plasmas is that they tend to be something like 1024x768 or similar. This is actually 4:3 not 16:9 and so they must be doing more processing of the signal to get it to fit the panel in some way.

I don't know if this is a good or bad thing because there does seem to be a tendancy for hi-def panels to display current standard def broadcast sources (freeview, ordingary tv) poorly. Such programs seem to be better on SD panels perhaps because they don't highlight the problems so much. Given the hi def plasmas don't have that many more pixels than an SD panel maybe they are a good compromise for someone like myself who will be using freeview for a while yet for TV but wants some future proofing.

What puts me off plasmas is the screen burn problem. It would not surprise me at all if I turned up at home one evening with the TV having been left on by the kids on a screen with a logo for a few hours!

Yesterday I saw an LG 37 inch LCD with a stunning hi def picture feed but I have no idea how it fairs on standard def broadcasts.

Dave

10. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some plasma screens cheat and use rectangle pixels instead of square ones.. that's how 16:9 is possible from what seems like a 4:3 resolution. :cool:

Most new panels from the big names (pioneer, panny, sony etc) are near enough burn proof - as long as you don't watch Cbeebies for long periods of time in the first 100-200 hours, you should be fine!! :smashin:

After the run in period, you'll need to leave the panel on 24 hours for a few days in a row, to get the logos burnt in permanently.. then your kids can have a Cbeebies branded TV!! ;)

Still, that doesn't make the choice between 37" lcds and 37" plasmas any easier...

I think I read somewhere that 37" plasmas are just aweful, but cannot say I've watched one long enough to make my own mind up.

Ben

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    It all comes down to different brands and then different models within the range, you can't say which is better.
    There are loads of plasmas I couldn't live with and I have not yet seen one LCD that I could live with either.
    I hate 99% of plasmas ever made, and for the same reason as most LCD screens, which are frame rate conversion, nearly all of them do it and black levels. How people can sit there and watch a screen with poor black levels amazes me, the blacks in an image is what gives detail and depth, with them the whole thing looks wrong. Combine that with frame rate conversion and it just looks, well, so digital!

To answer you question mwood, and welcome to the forum btw, and please ignore people who laugh at you for wanting a 50" TV we're not all that ignorrant honestly, you really need to try and see what is out there.
    Where are you located? there are laods of forum members running well set up digital panels, and the best plasmas look like CRT, and if you like that sort of image you need to look at Panasonic panels (not TVs) and the Fujitsu panels, both excellent in 50" guise.

The problem with forums is you have alot of people who have spent loads of money on a product and think it is great, but not many people who have seen loads of different product and can give a 100% honest view, so gather all the info regarding which is the best in their respective field and then go view them, you will soon know when an image looks right to you.

12. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here here! :clap:

Ben

13. mwood

mwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just a couiple of points from all your reply's

I have a big living room and I want the BEST viewing experiance I can get.

to me there is no reason to pay £4000 on a set that gives a less picture quality then one that is £6000 I would want the BETTER set.

Plasma is cheaper and yes I do understand I am not after value for money i want the best.

its my choice that I want the biggest I can get, (obviously to a degree)

Panasonic do a 50" LCD but not yet in the UK,
    :lease:
    I have one simple question.

if i had a 42" plasma and a 42" LCD, what would be the differences, why would I want LCD over Plasma. as far as I can see LCD is a newer technology, does this mean better quality pictures will eventually be on the LCD format, what timescales has Plams got ie. is its life expectancy to be 5 years 10 years, will LCD take over form it.
    AND no i don't want projection TV. oh and one more thing the TV has to be wall mounted.

Would it be better to go for plasma and a very very good picture ratio. what ever the HD max is.

14. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're adament to get a 50" screen, plasma's the only way to go. Why not go to your local Panasonic shop or john lewis? The ones in Watford are demo-ing these panels using HD sources.. VERY impressive.

I'd say you have the choice of 3 Plasmas;

Panasonic 50" PE500 series
    Pioneer 50" 505XDE
    Fujitsu 50" Panel (US version only, sorry don't know the model number!)

The 3rd one is highly acclaimed in the Plasma forum, but is more of a display than a tv. The other 2 are also highly acclaimed.

For anything above 37", lcds lack something that plasmas have plenty of; experience. LCD technology is indeed the newer technology of the two in terms of home entertainment, but this is not always a good thing; at this size, plasmas rule the roost (they are of superb quaity), while the lcds have some way to go to catch up.

The quoted life of these plasmas are usually likened to roughly 8 years continuous use (switched on 24-7), and this is the time it takes for the screen to get to half the brightness it originally was. I doubt this would be much of an issue TBH. ;)

If you really want an LCD at this size, by all means wait; it'll be some time yet before 50" lcds become the norm to challenge the quality of the top of the range plasmas of today!

Ben

15. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can remember a thread a while ago (why isn't lcd a wow effect)...but when i switched from plasma (screen reflection and buzzing) to lcd, the only thing i do now when watching movies is wowing, if only the blacks were better...

Harry potter or Troy on lcd is just...stunning!!

16. Bill S

Bill S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The problem you have is that most people either have a Plasma or a LCD - whatever they have - that is the best.
    Even most of the comparisons in that google search tend to have a bias.

LCD technology is improving all the time - large (40"+) screens are becoming available. The "breakeven" point between LCD & Plasma is now at about the 32"-42" size. In a year IMHO it will be 42"-55". LCDs are getting bigger - this not a change in technology - it is more a matter of the production lines getting more efficient - they can produce larger screens with fewer rejects!

Rejects just add to the costs! The same thing is happenning to all chip manufacture - look at computer memory & processors. The LCD screen can be considered as a very large chip!

Plasma proponents may not like it but their technology is being replaced by LCD - what comes after LCD is still being debated.

Whatever you choose - if you want the best - be prepared to change every few years....so then your decision is not all that important perhaps!

17. mwood

mwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ben Thanks you very much,

Thats exactlly what sort of info I was wanting.

So its Plasma for me, any recommendations.

The father in law has just bought a 42" Samsung HDMI it's very very good.

18. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably best asking that question in the Plasma Forum on this site.. :smashin:

But like I was saying, anything above the 37"-40" mark, Plasmas are still king at the moment. Below that however, I prefer LCDs!

Don't get me wrong, I recently bought a 32LD7200 lcd screen, so I should be biased towards LCDs. I'm just telling it like it is.

Ben

19. Bill S

Bill S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sorry Ben - In no way was I saying your comments were biased - its just that many comparisons do show a leaning in particular directions. I fully agree -smaller screens - LCD reigns - larger - get a plasma.

But the changeover point is getting larger.

20. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point Bill.

Give 18 months I reckon.. then we'll have some very interesting 50" (ish size) LCDs!

Ben

21. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    That is not beyond the realms of possibility!

The new Panny 37 inch screens seem to be being raved about and I have seen one in a shop@panasonic with a high def feed looking very nice.

Dave

22. deeplyblue

deeplyblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    My local JL will demo any DVD of your choice. Take along something which is typical of the sort of thing you watch (or will watch when you've got your new TV!) and get them to set it up on several different TVs. Pick a favourite scene and see how different screens handle it.

Trouble with checking out what the shops show you is that Finding Nemo looks good on all screens. Blacks, skin tones and football seems to be the real test for most people (begins to sound racist - but you know what I mean!).

If a games console is in prospect, take yours along, or try to borrow one and try out a game. JL are very good about this sort of thing.

db

23. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a great idea db, but what I meant was Hi Definition sources; my local JL, Panny shop and Hi Fi shop had Hi Def videos running on 50" plasmas..

VERY impressive I must say!!

Might be an idea to bring a laptop along then..

Ben

24. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    That's what I do when I'm shopping for LCDs - any good store will oblige. I just bring my own player, cables and disc, and ask to plug it in.

25. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    But I don't think you can really get an idea for a set until you have spent a few days with it, that is when you realise if it is good or not.
    I have bought a couple and after a week or so realised that I had made a mistake, and lost loads of money!

26. Promised Land

Promised Land
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Completely agree with you.I've had a few changes over the last four years or so.Each time is like a rite of passage!Currently,I'm using the infamous Samsung LCD(32")and to be honest,I'm loving it.I must admit,a big part of that is,I came to the epiphany that nothing is ever perfect!Once you realise that,you can concentrate on finding a set with "issues" that you can live with.Of course,being as anal as I am,I'm still noticing things(only had it a week)but,over all,things are shaping up pretty well.One thing worth bearing in mind is the "distance selling" rule,which,in short,means that if you buy over the Internet,you have a fortnight to(basically)change your mind.

27. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Yeah, it can be really tricky. At least going to see it gives you SOME idea beforehand though...

28. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    It is good if you can dim the lights and have an hour to play with them all set up next to each other.
    I knew the panasonic plasmas well as a mate had been using one for a while, and had seen the Pioneer sets in stores and thought they looked great too, but I thought I would go to av-sales and actually see the Pioneer MXE-1 running before handing over my money, coming from a CRT projector I was a little cautious, and I knew they had a demo room where I could have a play with all the settings in a well lit enviroment.
    After about 30 mins with the Pioneer I was pretty impressed and the only thing that I didn't like was the black levels, but I knew this was to be expected, but when the guy came back in the room I asked if he could put the Panny on for a couple of minutes just as a comparison, no problem as all he said there is a distribution amp and we can play both at once. Straight away I knew that the Panny was definitely the better screen, and after spending 20 mins on the Pioneer trying to get the blacks to my liking and failing the Panasonic was right straight away, and after playing with the settings on that for 10 mins I had a picture that was stunning, the start of Gladiator when they are in the forest at night was right on the Panny and just wrong on the Pioneer, and everyone always says about the Pioneer having more detail in the balcks, well that is nonsense, it just can't do blacks properly.
    That demo was well worth the day out, if I hadn't gone down there I would probably have the Pioneer now and be harping on about how good it is without ever having done a side by side comparison in decent surroundings.
    I am now looking for a 50" screen and keep going to see as many as I can, I know what I can and can't live with in an image, and as long as it is right for me that is all that matters, I can live with things others can't and others seem to be able to live with things I can't, the forums are a great way to sort out the naff stuff but you need to demo properly, I will never buy a screen without having a proper because it has to be right.

The amount of people who go on and on about their screen being awesome when they have not had anything else to really compare it with amazes me, take everything with a pich of salt.

29. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    ^ Couldn't agree more with that. Awesome in comparison to what, would be the question.

30. deeplyblue

deeplyblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    In comparison to their previous TV probably :rolleyes:

Or, if they're lucky, in comparison to "the one my mate bought three months ago."

db