1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD V Plasma

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by PRH, Nov 12, 2004.

1. PRH

PRH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am new here and this has probably been asked many, many times but I am looking to change from a 32inch Widescreen standard TV to either a plasma or LCD TV - I rather favour Panasonic.

However I have heard that Plasma suffer from burn-in and as a heavy used of SKY and the loggos that appear on screen, this concerns me and on the other hand I hear that LCD's suffer with ghosting on fast moving action.

Someone said that the next generation of LCD's will be faster.

Can anyone offer any help or suggestions or know when the next generation of LCD's are likely to be in the shops?

Also I read an article on here about the buzz coming from Panasonic Plasmas does anyone know if LCD's are likewise affected?

Many thanks

PRH

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Whilst true, I think you will find that plasma burn in and ghosting of LCD's are not as problematical as some would make out. I would suggest visiting a store that shows the same static logo day in day out or watch fast moving action on an LCD and make up your own mind.

As for noises coming from screens, some people seem sensitive to fan noise. My external media box for my LCD has a fan inside, but unless I am sitting right next to the box, it is inaudible.

There will always be faster, cheaper, blacker models, better connected models appearing all the time. I had been waiting for 20 months before I put my money where my mouth was. In the last six months, LCD's have IMO matured, and most premium brand LCD's will now be more than acceptable for most purposes. ANd there is now a decent selection to choose from that should suit the majority of peoples tastes, specification and budgets.

-Ian

3. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I personally wouldn't go for a plasma -- but then, you're in an LCD TV forum so what else would I say? :)

They're noisy, use vast amounts of electricity, run hot and, after a few years, the picture can start to fade. I haven't researched it but I'd be very surprised if this had no effect on the resale value (yes, I know that's not really very high priority but feed it into the mix).

I also prefer the look of an LCD image.

4. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with ianh64 - premium brand LCDs have matured and can now offer great performance. Response times have come down to the point where even sport can look good (with a decent signal). It'll probably take a couple of years for the next generation of panels to appear. The main current downside to LCD technology is black-level - it can only go as low as the backlight, you'll get blacker blacks with plasma and even better with traditional CRT. But the sheer overall clarity, colour, slimline build, silent operation and flexibility of LCDs makes them very tempting at the moment. It really depends on how keen you are to "take the plunge".

5. Digitised

Digitised

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    alan the black levels on plasma TVs arent all that they are made out to be.

in the 'lab tests' plasmas get nice dark blacks, where as lcds get greyish blacks.
    These tests are conducted in total darkness with no ambient light.

My 1st point is non technical...
    plasma screens have reflective glass screens and a reddish screen when turned off.
    In a real life situation you will hardly ever watch TV in total darkness, some TVS even produce theyre own ambient light.

So the glass screens are going to catch light from all over the room eg. windows, lamps, mirrors, plain walls, some1 wearing a white top... this will all spoil the deepest achievable black image on a plasma (and CRT since it has a glass screen).
    The colours produced by a plasma arent also as bright as LCD, and will also suffer in a 'real' setting.

LCD screens are now nearly all made with a black anti reflective screen, that is black when off, and reflects hardly any light even in a room with sunlight hitting it directly.
    I can see my clearly enuff even with such a normally drastic measure in place.

The TV image itself is brighter than plasma, and doesnt suffer from losing its vibrance in brightly lit rooms. When it comes to watching a film in a room made as dark as possible, the LCD will only give its off blacks away when the image itself is black eg. space... or a black screen for credits.
    In normal film, game, tv situations it isnt noticable 1 bit. The rest of the image makes it impossible for your eyes to distinguish between a dark black coat, and a very dark grey coat.

The 2 top series are the philips 9986 and sony MRX1(?), i think the philips has the better contrast, but ive read that plasma screens in real life tests have contrasts that are around 250:1, where 3000:1 is boasted in the spec.

Where as an 500-800:1 lcd has actually been upped in some cases to around 1000:1 due to its contrast being exaggerated by ambient lighting.

Good luck choosing anyway!

6. Digitised

Digitised

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    here you go, heres a film watched in a dark room, on my 9986 lcd.
    Its an unedited picture, the Ambilight is switched on (hence the red background) and so u can inspect the black... the picture format is 2.35:1, which means that its got black borders top and bottom.

So if that level of black bothers you, or doesnt look dark enough then go for plasma. :suicide:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much are you willing to spend?