LCD v CRT - PQ on less popular channels

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Girl Athena, Nov 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Girl Athena

Girl Athena
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been reading this forum for a while and was just about to buy a Panasonic TX32LXD52, when I came across this thread, which warns you about the poor picture quality if you watch anything else than DVDs, esp.on some less obvious channels:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259174&highlight=TX32LXD52

I'll be replacing a 10-year old Sony - bit old-fashioned and non-widescreen but with v. good picture quality. I was looking forward to switching to the LCD, but I'm confused now. I have Sky but don't really watch any of its standard package - sports, films etc. I mainly watch the 5 terrestrial channels, Sky One, E4, Paramount, etc. plus quite a lot of obscure/arty/foreign language channels, which I understand are more compressed and whose picture quality isn't likely be very good (although it seems fine on my Sony). I'm not into gaming or blockbuster DVD movies (I do watch DVDs now and again but would be using the telly mainly as a telly). So the question is: will I be really disappointed - and possibility annoyed -with the switch to the LCD or will I notice a considerable improvement in quality?
    Cheers!

2. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    LCD will not be an improvement on the pic quality of your crt. It will probably be a fair bit worse on Sky channels and analogue terrestrial.

If you only watch 'normal' TV, don't watch many DVDs and have no intention of going HD soon, stick with CRT for best pic quality. If you still want a LCD, have a look at the Sharp P50 screens. They are optimised for 'normal' TV and DVDs and will probably give you the best results.

3. Jowl

Jowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've just got hold of a LCD TV for the first time and as a TV I'm bitterly disapointed.

As a computer monitor it is excellent - but I don't want a 30" computer monitor.

DVD playback is ok via scart.
    Watching sports - even though digital TV iswe...un-watchable

I must say I'm a newbie to these forums so they maybe somehting I'm missing about LCD TV.

I'm not a newbie to technology though and computers in particular.

4. dkboy22

dkboy22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which LCD TV have you got?

5. Jowl

Jowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Viewsonic N3000W

Trying to send it back.

Possiby look at Sharp P50 series instead. Or maybe I should stick with CRT for now

6. andrewf

andrewf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    This whole issue is VERY VERY subjective. I have the Phillips 9830 and I think the PQ for Sky is by and large great. I bought an LCD because I wanted a flat panel TV. Making sure it was HD future proof was just part of the buying process and not the reason behind my purchase.

I have watched plenty of films on the movie channnels and been happy with them all. I have had the odd 'hello!' moment with other channels, but a lot of that has to do with the quality of the incoming signal. If you watch channels like UK Gold there are times I used to get ropey pictures on my Tosh CRT (witch won Product of the Year 2002 in What Hi-Fi, so it wasn't a crap tele). On my LCD they are no different.

Thing is my LCD cost £1500.00 or £1800.00 average if you look online now. Others are happy with their other sets and have paid less. However the long a nd short of it is, picture signal and the quality of the LCD have a lot to do with it.

7. dkboy22

dkboy22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the Sharp 37" P50 and quality from off-air and especially Sky is fantastic compared with other LCD's I've seen (and I've seen plenty!).

These panels are optimised for PAL at 960x540, so not truly HD Ready. They are HD compatible with HDMI/HDCP though, and I've seen HD stuff on mine - still looks very good.

Judging by other owners of the Sharp P Series, I think we couldn't be happier in gereral.

8. Jowl

Jowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Cheers,

That could be the way to go then. Found a 26" Sharp for a resonable price.

Just got to try and get this one back first!