1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD TV's with DVI-I

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by blossom, Nov 26, 2004.

1. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Good evening,

I am interested in getting an LCD TV for another room and running it on DVI-I from my PC as I have updated my Graphics card which now has DVI-I and VGA ports so I can run two displays.

Have thought about the Sharp LC26GA3E but it seems like it is being discontinued.

Is there any other sets that might suit my needs with a DVI-I input? I have been following the various threads of late with interest but need a few options.

Ideally looking for 26 inch display. I am using a WIN TV USB digital tuner on my PC and would like to stream this onto the new set in another room. Therefore only needing 1 cable ( DVI-I to DVI-I ).

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

2. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hunt around and find a place with a Sharp in stock. Stunning set!

It appears to be being replaced by an inferior model with no DVI!

3. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for that uczmeg. Seems like everyone is out of them at the moment.

Any other suggestions anyone?

Can someone please tell me the difference detween DVI-D and DVI-I. Sorry if it is a dumb question but I just have to make sure that I get the right equipment. Will a display with a DVI-D input work with the DVI-i output from my PC.

I just don't think I understand enough about this yet before I blow a load of cash.

Cheers

Paul

4. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Robert Whyte had stock a few days ago. They cost a little more, but have a 5 year warranty and the option of 18 months interest free that reduced my pain! ;)

I think the new 26" or is it 27" Tosh has DVI, I thought these were lovely sets too the Sharp edged it in the end as the wife prefered the look!

DVI-D is digital.

DVI-I is, I believe, interlaced, well anyway it can take an analogue or digital signal.

So a DVI-I capable set could take input from a VGA device using a simple connection convertor.

Cheers
    Marc

5. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for the reply. What attracts me about the Sharp is that the speakers are detachable. Mrs wants screen only as audio will be run through hi-fi. She doesn't like ugly speakers on the side or underneath.

Also I just want 1 lead running into the screen ( DVI ).

So just to confirm the DVI-I out on my pc can feed into a DVI-I or DVI-D display no problem then.

Have you tried this with your PC and your new Sharp?

6. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the Sharp LC32GA3E/4E takes DVI from your computer. The Toshiba 32WL48 will not.

7. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to clear up the DVI types issue:
    DVI-I (Integrated): Carries both the analogue/VGA signal and a Digital signal
    DVI-D: Carries digital only
    DVI-A: Analogue only (rare, I believe)

So your DVI-I output can take any type of DVI Cable (ideally go for DVI-D) and this will connect to your new LCd's (if you find one!) DVI socket (probably of the -D sort).

As far as suggestions for monitors goes: have a look at the two new Toshiba models 27WL46 and 30WL46. In my opinion they look miles better than other saround at the moment and they come with both a VGA and DVI socket for your PC!

8. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for the info.

I had pretty much decided on the Sharp 26GA3E but now its going to have to be a rethink as they seem to be no more.

I now find myself thinking about the Hitachi 28LD5200. It seems to do everything I need ( DVI, component etc ) and detachable speakers which would please the other half. Thats what is putting me off the Tosh's. By the way what does non HDCP enabled mean? Its on the Tosh website next to the DVI input on the 30 & 27WL46 spec.

I really need to demo some but the chances of seeing one using the DVI input are slim.

Any suggestions where I might. Reside in the Midlands.

Cheers

Paul

9. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HDCP is an extra bit of code sent with the picture data in the DVI signal when a set-top box or DVD player has to copy-protect the picture.
    If the screen isn't HDCP compatible it won't be able to show a copy-protected picture. It will show a non-HDCP encoded DVI signal though (from a scaler/ from a PC/ from a DVD player or box that doesn't add the copy protection).