LCD TV's: why 1366*768 and PS3?

Screamer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all - have just got a shiny new PS3, and find that the gfx are pretty jaggy on my Samsung 26" LCD (26R41BD). I can only imagine that this is caused by the 1280*720 resolution output by the PS3 being upscaled/stretched by my TV to its 1366*768 resolution. Incidentally, my X360 with a VGA cable set to 1300*768 looks perfect. If anyone can shed any light on this particular prob, that'd be great (annoyingly, i've seen photo's of other people's TV's with the same games, and they look great, despite often being bigger TV's).

Anyway: my main question: if we have 2 main HD resolutions, 1080 and 720, and almost all 1080 TV's are 1920*1080 resolution (1:1 matching of a 1080 source with the TV), why are most non-1080 LCD TV's set at 1366*768 resolution, so that 720 sources have to be upscaled and 1080 sources have to be downscaled.

Am I right to say that i'm most likely to achieve best image quality (smooth-edges wise), with something like a Panasonic 37PX70, which has a vertical resolution of 720, which should perfectly match my PS3 games..?

Thanks for any help/info/etc!

Good points. I'd like to hear some peoples opinions on this too.

When I play 720p ps3 games on my 1080p screen the image quality isn't great to say the least, but I hardly ever see people complain when they must have the same issues. I just see jaggies everywhere!

On the other hand 1080p games look pixel perfect and clear.

Good points. I'd like to hear some peoples opinions on this too.

When I play 720p ps3 games on my 1080p screen the image quality isn't great to say the least, but I hardly ever see people complain when they must have the same issues. I just see jaggies everywhere!

On the other hand 1080p games look pixel perfect and clear.

Hi, I didn't realise there were any 1080p games, could you tell me which are. Thanks

I know it is well into the year now but...

Your New Year's resolution should be 1080p!

Read this to find out why 1366x768...

It's all a conspiracy! (Not really, it is all about a limited number of panel makers using the same SoC technology in yer LCD TV sets...)

son t - thanks, will have a read.

altered beast: it's odd, because if you look at this (huge) thread on the official PS forums, there seems to be plenty of people with all sorts of sizes/types/resolutions of TV that look great: http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=751440&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Does anyone know what type (LCD or plasma) of TV the Bravia's are that Sony use on their PS3 shop stands (they're around about 42")? Really annoyingly, i've seen Motorstorm running on them and they look great, even with my head about 1 foot away. I'm convinced that there's more than just resolution at play here, but can't find any explaination at all as to what it might be. My TV was one of the first generation to carry a HDMI port (that i'm using to connect my PS3 into)... is it likely that HDMI image processing on these initial TV's has been greatly surpassed by newer models? Long shot, I know...

As for 1080p games... do a search on the forums I linked to above... Only one I can remember for sure is Ridge Racer 7. Think Sonic might be, too... Sure there's about 6-8 games that are now.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom