1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD TVs - size question (also how to mount them)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by theo cupier, Aug 23, 2005.

1. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I'm trying to help my father who is wanting to replace an old hitachi 21in 4:3.

His key restraining factor is that he wants to put the replacement in his cherished wooden TV cabinet, rather than on a stand or wall mount it.

So, his main issue is that he needs to fit it in to a space 71.5cms wide x 53.5cms high. He doesn't have an AV amp, so the TV would need to have its own speakers, etc. It would be connected to a DVD recorder (probably a Panny DMR-ES20D)

1. Are there any worthwhile TVs (ideally with Freeview tuner built in so he can record to DVD whilst watching something else) which would fit this physical space?
    2. Is it possible to have an LCD screen not on its stand or wall mount - ie can you just "prop" the TV up, in the cabinet - albeit with a little creative carpentry?

New poster to the LCD forum (and on behalf of a luddite father) so please be gentle!

2. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    your main problem is gonna be height, I'd think that there is a 26 inch with side speakers that will fit nicely in that space, just check out a few reviews for dimensions
    IDTV LCDs are a bit of a rarety it would seem, better off getting a little STB style freeview box and tucking it in somewhere it'll fit :)
    Rather than propping it up in the cabinet, I bet you could bolt it in using the mounts, just make sure it has a removable stand (99.9% do!!)

3. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Thanks Sean.

The integrated Freeview is strictly "nice to have" but would be a bonus.

The fact that you can remove the stands and use mounts will be great (although I can't get a mental pucture of what you mean by "bold it using the mounts" at the moment...

4. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    On the back will be a VESA standard wall mount, right in the middle with 4x5mm (?)threaded holes in a 100mm square, could easily bolt a bit of wood or a standard wall bracket to this and then suspend it from the back of the cabinet.
    Otherwise, there will be some holes there to fit it to the stand that you could use at the bottom.