1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD TVs run hot?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Mr Pleasant, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    A friend who recently bought a Sony LCD TV tells me that it generates a lot of heat out of the back and he never puts it on stand-by because of that. I must admit to be surprised. I'd read that one of the arguments for LCD over plasma was lower power consumption. Can any LCD owners confirm their sets run hot - or don't?

2. snoods

snoods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Kilwinning, North Ayrshire, Scotland, UK.
    Ratings:
    +32
    Well my Dell Computer LCD is just a 17 inch and there's plenty heat comes out the top of that so i would imagine larger TV's would be no different. :rolleyes:

3. bignairy

bignairy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The LCD itself will not generate much heat, however the power supply and the backlight etc will produce some. Its still a lot less than a Plasma or CRT though!

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    A set in standby should not generate any heat. If it does, then there is a potential problem. My 32" LCD display is rated at 3W in standby, not enough power to generate heat at all.

When turned on, my display is rated at 135W and the external media box at 30W, a total of 165W for a 32" display. Heat and power consumption was one of the main factors of me choosing LCD over plasma. I don't know how much things have changed since, but when I was looking, a typical plasma consumption was 400W or more although these were a larger size.

The display panel does generate quite alot of heat but not excessive if correctly mounted with the correct air space around - but you would not want the place the unit below a central heating thermostat! I think there are about 16 tubes in there for the backlight all in an enclosed space. The heat has got to go somewhere and on my set is vented out the top. But it is certainly much much less than generated by a plasma. I still would not want to mount it in an enclosed space. My media box however gets extremely hot - but it does have a harddisc inside. It has the recommended 10cm space all around but is in an enclosed cabinet out of the way of little fingers. It shuts down when the ambient temperate reaches 40C. It took quite alot of work on venting the cabinet to stop this being a problem after extended periods of viewing - afternoon & evening.

-Ian

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    My Samsung 22 incher gets quite warm (not "hot" exactly) to touch when on; completely cool when in standby.

6. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Our new JVC LT26DS6 consumes 130 watts - that's 30% more than the 28" CRT set it replaced, and it shifts quite a lot of heat through the top vents. On standby it uses just 3 watts. There doesn't seem to be a way of actually turning it off - the power button on the side of the set is a 'soft' switch, just like the one on the remote, so I don't think the set is ever properly 'off'.

7. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well thanks for all of that. It sounds like heat isn't a major issue, but since he bought it from a Sony shop he might be wise to talk to them about that particular model in case it's faulty.