LCD TVs and Warrantees? Is the standard 12 months enough?

nickgrc

Established Member
Reaction score
Splashing out between 600 and 900 quid on a TV is a whole load of money so was wondering what the opinions out there were?

Very tempted to buy from John Lewis with their 5 year warrantee but was wondering:

(1) What is likely to go wrong with an LCD TV outside of the 1st year?

(2) What do the warrantees cover? How far does it go... Development of dead or lazy pixels etc?

Is any other retailer offering good deals with respect to free warantees?

Cheers

Personally I didn't like the idea of spending a lot of money on an LCD and only having a 12 month warranty.
Sure there are certain rights to do with "acceptable life" of an item, however after the initial warranty period it comes down to you the buyer to prove that faults existed at the time of purchase etc - basically it all gets very messy.
I am buying a Samsung LE40F86 and as that was going to cost me near enough £1000 I did want more than the 12 months warranty.

In the end I ordered from this place:

http://www.robertwhyteltd.co.uk/

They supply 5yr warranty's with almost all of their LCD's and Plasma's.
Basically I believe I've paid approx. £75 - £100 more (£1079inc delivery) for my panel however I've got a 5yr warranty.
With any kind of luck I'll be getting the panel in about a week or two time - the Samsung panels seem to be in general short supply at the moment.
However I'm more than happy to wait an extra week or two for the extra warranty.

Mate of mine bought a Samsung le40 something or other in March(2007),he paid £1450 and it has already been in for repair.To much money shelled out to just have a 12 month warrenty.Bit of piece of mind with a 5yr

imo john lewis give you a free 5yr warranty because thats basically what your entitled to in your rights as a consumer by law. All other companies also have to honour it, but try to tell you they dont so they can sell expensive insurance policies which they make a high profit on.

Thanks All

I went to JLewis in the end for 5yr deal. Bought a Tosh 40XF355. Get it next week.

How comprehensive are the guarantee / warrantees?

imo john lewis give you a free 5yr warranty because thats basically what your entitled to in your rights as a consumer by law.

As I understand it this is correct if you can prove the fault existed at time of purchase and did not develop during use. This can be very difficult to prove.

Thanks All

I went to JLewis in the end for 5yr deal. Bought a Tosh 40XF355. Get it next week.

QUOTE]

Good luck on getting the Tosh. I ordered a 40XF355 from them on the 4th Jan. I got a call from their courier company (Deliver2Home) to say they would deliver it on Weds 9th Jan and they texted me the day before to confirm an am slot. I took the day off work and then got another call from the couriers to say my delivery would be Friday 11th Jan. I asked about the Weds delivery and they denied all knowledge of telling me about it :mad:

I phoned John Lewis and got an apology (something about a power cut!!) and said the TV would be delivered on Friday.

I got my dad to wait in but alas there was no delivery. Getting rather annoyed by now I phoned John Lewis and they had no idea what was going on. They said the delivery company would call me back urgently later that day.......no call came :rolleyes:

I phoned JL again this morning and was told that the delivery company didn't have my TV, JL don't have it in stock and I could cancel. I cancelled and he said it would take 5 to 6 working days to get my money back.......they took the money immediately by the way :thumbsdow

I just got a weird email from them saying they have cancelled part of my order (the £10 off voucher code) but the rest of my order would be processed as normal. I replied basically telling them to sort it out :lease:

This was my first experience with JL, and after all I had heard about them I was expecting good things, but this has been a total nightmare and I am a grand out of pocket and I have still to get a TV :suicide:

Let me know how you get on.

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Nightmare!

I ordered a few weeks ago and arranged delivery on Saturday (next week) so hopefully it will be delivered.

However, the JL website has removed the 40" XF completely. I spoke to JL who said that they weren't getting anymore stock in. I asked why and was told it was because of technical issues with the set. I've since heard on these forums that there can be some level of backlight bleed through in the corners which is not pleasant when watching a 2.3:1 picture and there's a white glow at the corners. So I am wondering what to do now especially as they couldn't confirm what was happening with my order!

You expect more from JL who previously have always been one of the best retailers in the country.

Will keep you posted

Went in to local JL on the Weds and arranged to collect it myself on the Sat.with no problems at all.
Chuffed to bits with the Telly apart from the problem of the back light bleed in the corners.Maybe if there is a general problem with the XF,JL have probably decided not to stock any more until the ZF becomes available.

I have not bothered with any warranties with the tvs we have.

Panasonic plasma - no problems in 3 years.

Panasonic lcd - no problems in 1 1/2 years.

Samsung lcd - no problems in 2 years.

The extended warranties are definitely a bonus. In the past i have purchased from Costco due to 3 year warranties, reasonable pricing and immediate pickup. However, I bucked the trend this year and went for a cheap Samsung 40N87 (wife liked it :rolleyes:) from Currys. The instant it arrived (home delivery, albeit 4 hours later than quoted), i had to unpack it myself and was told to check the goods AFTER they left, stating that if there were any problems to take it up with Currys on the phone within 28 days!!

After opening, fired it up with an aerial plugged in and voila, i was greeted with a repetitive beeping sound every 10 secs or so :confused:. Tuned it thinking it would solve it, yet alas the sound was still there. I was sooooo annoyed, grabbed the phone, said there was a problem, and took it back to currys within the hour of receiving it. Got my money back straight away and came to my senses. What would have happened if this happened after 28 days? they state only parts and labour were covered. No replacement offered after this. That's ridiculous considering that every other store has decent warranty cover.

So, out of true frustration, I went back to trusty Costco and bagged myself a 40LEF86 (£350 cheaper than JL) with a 3 year warranty for peace of mind :clap:.

The extended warranties are definitely a bonus. In the past i have purchased from Costco due to 3 year warranties, reasonable pricing and immediate pickup. However, I bucked the trend this year and went for a cheap Samsung 40N87 (wife liked it :rolleyes:) from Currys. The instant it arrived (home delivery, albeit 4 hours later than quoted), i had to unpack it myself and was told to check the goods AFTER they left, stating that if there were any problems to take it up with Currys on the phone within 28 days!!

After opening, fired it up with an aerial plugged in and voila, i was greeted with a repetitive beeping sound every 10 secs or so :confused:. Tuned it thinking it would solve it, yet alas the sound was still there. I was sooooo annoyed, grabbed the phone, said there was a problem, and took it back to currys within the hour of receiving it. Got my money back straight away and came to my senses. What would have happened if this happened after 28 days? they state only parts and labour were covered. No replacement offered after this. That's ridiculous considering that every other store has decent warranty cover.

So, out of true frustration, I went back to trusty Costco and bagged myself a 40LEF86 (£350 cheaper than JL) with a 3 year warranty for peace of mind :clap:.

I think that consumer law allows you a full refund within the first 6 months and the onus is on the supplier not the consumer to prove a fault. I could be wrong but I am sure it is something like this. Buying with mastercard or similar also gives further protection. I have taken stuff back after several months when it has gone wrong. The store has always argued the toss but I've told them to take it up with mastercard who have always sided with me and issued the refund to my account whilst they pursue their money back.

Its a pisser tho when the day after the warrantee runs out that the thing you buy goes pear shaped so like you I'll tend to choose a warranttee.

ta

Atang, your wife has good taste - that tv is good ! Shame it was buggered when you set it up !!

Personally i feel MUCH safer buying into a 3 to 5 year warranty. Peace of mind. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom