LCD TV with the least Backlight Leakage/Clouding?

FlyingBig

Standard Member
I don't know about you guys but this is a deal breaker for, no matter how good a picture an LCD TV has. To make matters difficult it's very hard, if not impossible, to detect leakage/clouding when viewing a tv in a well lit shop. This is where you guys come in, help!

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
Its really a matter of luck...any lcd you get might have clouding

JJTye

I don't know about you guys but this is a deal breaker for, no matter how good a picture an LCD TV has. To make matters difficult it's very hard, if not impossible, to detect leakage/clouding when viewing a tv in a well lit shop. This is where you guys come in, help!

Well it depends on how bad the leakage is when the set is used in dark conditions, such as a home cinema or when its night outside. Mine has a little leakage in the corners but its barely noticable unless you turn all lights off, push the brightness/backlight/contrast to maximum then display a pure black screen with the OSM displaying.

All in all, virtually every LCD will have some degree of backlight leakage. It only really becomes a problem if its blatantly visible during normal viewing.

It depends where you are going to use the set really. If it is mostly for normal TV viewing during the daytime then you shouldn't have too many problems. However if you watch a lot of TV/movies in dark conditions as mentioned above, then a plasma would be your better choice, though the screen won't be quite as bright (though blacks will be better), and plus you have to be disciplined in what you watch (no static images such as channel logos for too long)

Finally you could opt for the few LED-backlight LCDs that are available that promise deeper blacks with no leakage, but they are expensive and the viewing angle is much less than a normal backlit LCD.

Hope this information has been helpful to you.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom