1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lcd tv- with or without freeview???

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by jules19, Jun 3, 2005.

1. jules19

jules19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am wanting to purchase an lcd screen for my lounge- i am not a gamer, nor will i be hooking it up to a pc.

at the mo it will be hooked upto a denon 500sd- so this will be done via component.

I obviously want to purchase a relatively future proof tv, so am looking for a tv that has both hdmi and component, just in case i opt to get rid of the denon and buy a hd dvd player.

but with regards to the screen is it really necessary for me to have IDTV if everything will be running through my NTL set top box.

is the advantage of idtv having the freeview built in and can act as a stand alone without the need for sky or cable??? or is it something else- am i missing something.

please help

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    A lot depends on what channels you are used to getting on cable. Freeview gives digital quality, but apart from TopUp TV, there is little in the way of subscription channels. The addition of Freeview adds quite a lot to the price of the TV, so it's pointless buying it if you just think you might need it in the future.

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    You can get Freeview decoders to plug in over an RGB SCART input for tiny prices,a nd these will only fall in the future. So, I wouldn't worry about that too much.

4. jules19

jules19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i can only surmise then, that it would be cheaper for me to buy a tv and then also purchase a concomitant freeview box ???? because based on that - i could buy the samsung 32 hdmi compliant from empire direct and also pick up a cheap freeview box, whic would approximitaely render me £800, rather than paying £1049+ for the same tv with freeview

is it really that simple???

so based on what i receive through cable tv should determine whether i pick up a freeview box

thanks

5. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I can't think of anything on Freeview that you wouldn't be getting on NTL anyway... I wouldn't bother with a freeview box.