1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lcd tv with console

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by hwharton, Feb 20, 2004.

1. hwharton

hwharton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,

I'm planning to buy a 17"- 23" LCD tv for watching DVDs in the bedroom. I will also use it alot for Xbox and Gamecube.

Does anyone currently do this, are there any problems with ghosting or blur?

Cheers

H

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Probably!

Depends on the response time.

3. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,943
    I'd have thought that there wouldn't be a problem, PC's use LCD screens ok.

4. CMcK

CMcK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Try to get an LCD with a native resolution close to that of the Xbox and Cube say 640x480.

I use an LCD monitor with my PC and if it's not running at it's native 1280x1024 things look blurry and you get tearing on fast moving images. I don't use my DC with VGA anymore. And worse still the monitor can rotate so I thought it would be ideal for playing Ikaruga and Gunbird 2.

5. MRJAZZ

MRJAZZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're flat out wrong, I'm afraid.

That's because most of PC LCD moitors does not have scalers built-in. It's why you get very blurry images when the resolutions of source signal is lower than native resolution of your PC LCD. Instead of scaling incomming signal to native resolution of display, they just strech image to 'fit' the screen.

On the other hand, LCD TVs, (displays) which are designed to view moving pictures are equipped with internal scalers, as well as deinterlacers. So that incomming signals get deinterlaced (if it's interlaced image), and scaled (if the resolution of source signal is smaller or bigger than native resolution of the display.)

Genernally speaking, higher the resolution, the better image gets. This is because of oversampling method used in scaling algorithm.
    Of course, picture quality greatly varies depending on quality of scaler, and deinterlacer.

6. AndyDDD

AndyDDD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A friend of mine bought a PC from Evesham micros for £1450 a month ago. 2.8 Pentium 4, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, etc.
    The display is a modern Philips 17" LCD monitor.

Even with an old game like Half Life @1024*768 you get REALLY bad tearing. Tried a normal monitor and it was fine. I guess an LCD TV will be OK as it's designed for fast moving images.

IMO I'd stick with CRT unless you spend £LOADS on the latest LCD. A nice 21" hp p1130 monitor would be just the ticket :)

7. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I have a Hercules 17" LCD monitor (920Pro I believe) that is absolutely perfect for gaming. No problems with tearing or blurring (I am currently playing the Painkiller demo, which is like an old skool FPS game)....it costs around 350 quid. A 22" CRT is around £400. I would not go back to CRT. The space saving and the easiness on the eyes (ie no tiredness after a gaming marathon) is simply unbelievable.

Your friend unfortunately is a victim of the usual gack that PC suppliers sell with their PCs. It is a cheap LCD.

Besides Mr Jazz is right a PC LCD monitor is not comparable to an LCD TV. I can't see why you would have any problems, I have seen GT3 on demo in Dixons on one and it looked great.

8. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I use the relisys 1720 17" wide LCD.. perfect for games/pc/tv and dvd. I use a GC/xbox on it al the time :)

I think you can get them for just over £400 now..

Matt

9. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    LCD TV perfect for console games. You might have problems running odd frame rates on PC games (stuff like FPS running mucho frames per second).

but console games will be either 25/30/50/60 frames per second, and LCD TVs in the UK will handle all of those. Plus they'll be upscaled and deinterlaced and will look loverly.

10. MRJAZZ

MRJAZZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep. It's because of Vertical Blanking (VB), consoles games are always locked to constant frames per second according to TV standards. (PAL, NTSC) For examle, if there's frames drops (aka slow-downs) from 60fps (NTSC games), you get 60/30/20/15 frames per second. Nothing in-between.