1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD TV with 'Analogue' Teletext ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Starbug, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Starbug

Starbug
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a 37" LCD TV, but one on which I can still get the traditional Teletext that currently accompanies analogue BBC/ITV etc..

For LCD TV's that have built-in digital tuners but still list Teletext as an option, are they referring to the rather poor Teletext services you get when watching through Sky/Freeview ?

Would I need to get a TV that comes with an analogue tuner to still access the classic Teletext services ?

Any help is most appreciated, as are recommendations for which 37" to buy, I'm currently looking at the Toshiba 37WL56 but am tempted to wait for the WLT58 which has component input - but this has a built in digital tuner hence my worry.

Thanks in advance!

2. Ozzpot

Ozzpot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just out of interest, why do you need this? Seems like a tape deck in an Enzo if you ask me. ;)

3. dicko17

dicko17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Totally Agree With You About The Quality Of Text On Analogue Compared To The Feeble Excuse On Digital Channels , But Don't Worry As Long As The Tv Has An Analogue Tuner Which 99.9% Still Do , You Will Get The Tried And Trusted And Far Better Teletext.
    For Me Teletext Is Very Important On A Tv And You Will Also Find The Majority Of New Tv's That You Can Manually Move Through The Sub-pages On Text.

4. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know about any TV that does not offer the "standard" teletext, but then here in the Netherlands there are no TVs with builtin digital receiver. You normally get your receiver as part of a cable or terrestrial subscription.

What I don't understand is why BBC does not include the tiny bitstream required for teletext with their satellite transmissions. Viewers on cable and satellite here can no longer view BBC Teletext because of this. It should not cost much (if anything) to include full teletext service when it already has to be prepared anyway.
    (what we get now is a page 100 that says the service is no longer there and I should press the RED button on my Sky remote. Of course I don't have a Sky remote and when I press the RED button on my remote I get the EPG)

5. johnrp

johnrp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My teletext on my samsung 32" works well, it stores all the sub pages. The JVC, and phillips all also support "normal teletext" and as it is a LCD it is pin sharp.

6. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    I quite agree that the 'old' Teletext offers more scope than the digital equivilant. I guess it will die with analogue tv in the next five or so years and in the meantime manufacturers will be less inclined to build it into sets any more especially if they want to keep the price down.

7. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    The JVC LT-37DS6 will do it. Analogue/Digital tuners and Component input. Check out the the various DS6 threads on here.

8. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I'm amazed people still want Teletext, I think I last properly used it about 8 years ago.

Of course, I'm biased because my LCD TV sits right beside a PC with a 1mbit cable connection.

9. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It probably depends most on the quality of the Teletext service.
    I cannot check BBC Teletext anymore because they dropped it from satellite service (and these days cable also shows the satellite service; in the old days it was received in Belgium and then relayed over land).
    However, the Dutch NOS Teletext is still a very good news overview, hard to beat its scope and easy navigation with a website.
    (of course there are also lots of teletext services that are complete crap)

I have a fast Internet connection but I seldomly read the daily news via Internet.

10. Starbug

Starbug
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not that I intended to get into a conversation about teletext, but I like its quick simple stlye and is very quick (my current Sony has a 2000 page memory).
    It rarely tells me anything I cant find elsewhere but its quick and convenient for news/sport and keeping up with the footy scores :)

And finally, not everyone in my household is as computer literate so its good for them too!

11. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    a) I suspect that most LCD TVs have analog teletext. As an "old" technology, it may not be mentioned, though.

b) BBC Freeview text service carries the same data (and more). There are even equivalent page numbers, now. And it's much faster to use.

12. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Our JVC 26DS6 has analogue text (from its own analogue tuner) and I often use it on page 402 to find the forecast wind-speeds. As far as I know, this is the only place to find them!
    (I need to know wind-speeds as I'm a radio amateur with tall antenna masts that have to be lowered if there's a blow coming)
    BBC digital text is nice, but in my opinion it has been spoilt by the recent cosmetic changes and it has slowed down considerably since they (unnecessarily) added page numbers. :thumbsdow