LCD TV: Upgrading firmware to different model

Naseem1980

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a Samsung LE40650B TV and I'ts been updated fairly regularly whenver there's a firmware update. There hasn't been one since August 2010 and I assume that's down to much newer models being released etc.

It's a long shot, but I wondered whether anyone has upgraded an older TV with firmware from an equivalent newer model? I know there's a hardware issue here which most likely would render the TV useless or perhaps not even accept the firmware at all.

It's current got internet TV, although nice is fairly dated compared to the likes of what's available now, it's just not very user friendly.

Hi.
Sounds like a bad idea to me. Different years models are often built using completely different chipsets. Consider adding a bluray player/smart-tv media streamer/PVR instead. The Samsung BD-D6900 for instance; has a FreeviewHD tuner, access to their Smart Hub service. Or something like the LG ST600; no tuner/bluray player, just access to the LG Smart TV streaming stuff. Or the Sony BDP-S380; again a bluray player, no tuner, but access to the BRAVIA Internet Video network. Or the Humax HDR-FoxT2 twin-tuner PVR, with access to the Humax TV Portal.
--
Regards, Iain.

Hi, thanks for the reply Iain.

I already have a net ready Bluray player, same generation as the TV so has similar features. I used do a lot of firmware upgrading with PC stuff and on the odd occasion you could simply update a lower spec component of the same type with firmware from an advanced model as they were simply 'downclocked' models which incorporated the same hardware etc.

I do suppose that if I did it then the Bluray player would be the cheaper route to upgrade to net TV. Mind you I have a laptop to hand most of the time with a HD port so I can always use that if I really must stream net content to a bigger screen.

Oh well, nevermind.

Hi.
To an extent, sometimes you can. But it needs to be the same hardware inside. You may wish to investigate the SamyGO project; they appear to be, ahem, "tinkering" with Samsung TV firmware. Be sure to read the big warnings about breaking TVs though.
--
Regards, Iain.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom