1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD TV - Sharp versus Toshiba

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by MMTFB, Jun 3, 2005.

1. MMTFB

MMTFB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Been looking at the comments on the site for a few weeks and finally decided to ask my own question.

Am looking for a approx. 26" LCD. Inputs will be from Freeview box and X-box (both via Scart). Motorsport fan so somewhat concerned by comments regarding ghosting on some LCD TV's.

Am considering either the Sharp 26GA3E or the Toshiba 27WL56. Reason for selection are appearance (in paticular bottom speaker design which I feel is better looking).

Comments welcome (also any others I should consider).

2. willo

willo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I'm in the process of buying an LCD and looking at these 2 models as well. For me the Toshiba is winning my vote with its HDMI socket, I think the VGA socket might accept Component as well.

Thinking about teaming the Tosh with the Denon 1910 dvd player through HDMI, should give a very good picture. Try looking on the thread for the 32" for more detail.

3. MMTFB

MMTFB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info.

Comments seen to date would suggest Sharp is higher resolution and newer screen type. Also cost difference between screens (ca. £200) would suggest I'm missing something on the Sharp.

4. willo

willo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Doh!! I just noticed you where going on about the GA3 and not the GA5. I stand corrected then, yeah the GA3 is supposed to be a very good screen and does have HDMI. Abit hard to get hold of as I think there discontinued and replaced by the GA5 (minus the HDMI socket).

Should hopefully be picking up a Toshiba this weekend and the Denon later on when funds allow. Will let you know how I get on.

5. MMTFB

MMTFB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd read about the supply issue of the GA3 and the suggestion that this had been replaced by the GA5. However the downloaded Sharp brochure quotes both (alongwith the GA4), and the price comparison sites suggest no problem with supply (but at top whack).
    Problem I have is finding somewhere that has one to look at, the Toshiba is easy since Comet stock it.

6. willo

willo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Buyyourav (see advertisers bit) have the black ones in stock, pricey though. Just looked at the Comet site and the Tosh is £850, I suggest to mossy onto RGBdirect where they are £660, its where I'll be getting mine from.

7. MMTFB

MMTFB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah also Comet set comes with cheap Freeview box (unwanted). Let me know how you get on with your set (delivery and performance).

8. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the ga3 and 4 are being replaced by sharp in august/september with a new model - currently called the ga6
    that's what sharp told me at least....

9. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I have the 27wl56 and so far impressed great lcd.

10. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. vinovia

vinovia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll second that!

12. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    I too have the tosh 27wl56, I cant really compare it to anything as I bought it from www.beyondtelevision.com without seeing it in action first.

What I will say is that so far I am very pleased with it, Xbox looks good (un-modded, using M$ advanced scart cable) with games and dvd. I have noticed very slight 'motion blur' on some games/films but not enough to be a problem at all. Even VHS looks ok via cheap scart cable and alot better than LCDs look in most shops!

Dont use it for watching TV at all so cant comment on that.

I picked the tosh over the sharp simply because the 27wl56 is a 'new' model.

13. AlpsUk

AlpsUk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +909
    If anybody is after a Sharp 26GA3E I've seen them in stock at Dixons in the Trafford Centre today. A bit pricey though at £1199.99 but I bet they won't last long.

14. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It would need to have a gold plated case for that price :)

15. AlpsUk

AlpsUk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +909
    Probably why they still have them. The picture from the feed they had it on didn't look too greak. I thought the Logik 23" screen they had above it looked much better, but can't judge an lcd by that got to see a dvd on it before knowing what it can really do.

16. willo

willo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Managed to have a look at the Toshiba on Saturday. They had Gladiator on, connected via scart. TBH the picture quality didn't look great, in fact my CRT and dvd player had a better picture.

Asked to change the dvd to The Hulk, for some reason the picture was much sharper and better, after a quick play around I was impressed with the picture quality. I'd imagine the picture quality using HDMI would be even better. Overall thumbs up from me :smashin:

So did I buy one, well no I didn't. Just found out I'm going to be working up North for the rest of the year so getting a new telly would be a waste for me. Would recommend the Tosh though.