1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lcd Tv Resolution + Connectivity For Digital Photos

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Van Cortlandt, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Van Cortlandt

Van Cortlandt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’m a nervous newbie about to buy his first 32” LCD TV (£1200 to £1500?) – and this forum has been a huge help. But there’s a key bit of advice which I’d still welcome. As well as watching DVDs and terrestrial TV, I’ll be using the unit for digital photo slide-shows. I expect to burn these to DVD-Video using ProShow Gold (or similar). But what do I need to look for when choosing a TV for slide-shows of the best possible quality?

a) I’m told that DVD-Video has a max resolution of 720 x 576 (PAL). So will slide-shows will look pretty much the same on any of today’s LCDs, since they all have a higher resolution than I’ll be able to input?

b) Would component rather than scart connectivity make any difference?

c) Since these will be still images, does progressive scan capability matter at all?

d) Am I right in assuming that, when DVDs go HD, I could – potentially – send much higher resolution images from a next-generation DVD player to my LCD TV and thus get much better slide-shows? If that’s the case, would I be crazy not to buy an HDMI-connected TV now? Or would a high-res HD-capable TV, but with component rather than HDMI inputs, do the trick? (I’m particularly talking about the Panasonic TX-32LXD50: its price is falling fast because an HDMI replacement is imminent, and its manual claims that it has an HD display which can handle 1080i and 720p via component.)

e) Finally, would I get a better, higher-resolution slide-show if I made an s-video to s-video connection directly from a laptop to the TV, thus displaying the JPEGs on the laptop rather than bothering with DVD-Video at all? (This may well not be a practical option for me, so I’d be hugely grateful for advice on my other questions even if this was a good solution.) (I also imagine that a direct DVI/VGA laptop-to-TV link might work well – but TVs all seem to have their PC inputs at the back of the display, which might prove to be a big hassle for me.)

Apologies for any idiot questions….

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You would be crazy to buy a TV without an HDMI connector, period.

Some LCD TV's also have VGA input, which would allow you to connect your laptop directly. Progressive scan is unlikely to make any difference to still pictures.

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    a) Sounds correct to me.
    b) Yes it will, Component allows for Progressive Scan, SCART doesn't.
    c) Not much, but I do notice a difference in clarity between stills on my LCD when Progressive is turned on.
    d) Correct, get a TV with Component AND HDMI inputs.
    e) That actually probably would get you better results, but for ultimate clarity, try and hook it up over Component.

4. Van Cortlandt

Van Cortlandt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks, Nick UK & Lyris. But it looks as if most people here have better things to do (or to worry about) with their LCD TVs than finding the best way to display still photos!

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Some displays have their own built in memory card reader. I believe that some of these may scale to the display resolution which would be much higher resolution than from a DVD STB even one that offered upscaling via dVI/HDMI. The other solution would be a PC via VGA - some display do have the VGA connector conveniently placed on the front although off the top of my head, they were Panasonic or possibly Pioneer plasma's (or maybe Panasonic Viera displays).

-Ian