1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD TV Price Drops???

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Seb1, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Seb1

Seb1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How long before I can buy a 32" Widescreen LCD TV for about £1000-1500?

2. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    18 months, 3 days, 22 hours and 9.2 minutes.

Seriously, who knows. I noticed a news item on Friday that LCD prices on 15 and 17 inch panels are currently going *up*, due to reduced capacity in Taiwan.

mike

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    Dunno, but my local Comet were selling recently a 32 inch Thomson Plasma for £1500 (discontinued line).

And you can buy a high(ish) resolution 22inch LCD for under £1200 right now.

4. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LCD computer displays and LCD televisions are coinsidered two different beasts by the manufacturers - hence why you can buy a 15" LCD for 250 quid or so but the equivilant TV unit will cost from 400 quid (LG) to 700 quid or more.

Mfs have a lot invested in CRT plant and won't want to throw that away overnight. While prices are dropping there are still a large number of decent 32" sets which retail for more than 1000 pounds and they will always position LCD TVs above the equivilant CRT price point.

Mike

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I think the price drops in plasma LCD displays will be slowing as they are very new technologies and development is still going on, being paid for. CRT are still by far the most popular choice and will be for at least another 2 years. I think the analogue TV switch off 2010 will push a lot of people into a new TV in 2008-2010 and then sales of flat panel TV's will rise, as they should be more competitive by then.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    Well maybe, but some TV manufacturers (I think Hitachi and Samsung) have already pulled out, completely, from CRT manufacture.

Is it not likely that these manufacturers, wanting to get early returns on their investments, will start pushing LCD as a more mass-market product, sooner, which in turn will force the others down the same route? Samsung already do a 22inch w/s LCD TV for retail GBP1500, web GBP1150 - which undercuts Panachronic's offering my a good margin.

The only way is down.......