1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD: TV or monitor? *Newbie*

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by douglas_small, Feb 8, 2005.

1. douglas_small

douglas_small
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I need some advice if someone would be so kind....

I want to replace the 16" portable in my kitchen with an LCD unit.

This needs to take 2 principal inputs:

1. Scart (for Sky+)
    2. VGA (for PC, which will send computing signals for browsing but I'll also play back DVDs and streamed video (I could use the TV-out for this but am not convinced about picture quality).

The essence of my problem. I don't know if I need a "TV" or if I can get away with a monitor.

I've been advised that the low response time of a monitor will be much better, particularly as I watch a lot of sport and LCD TVs are often known for "ghosting". But are the specs really that much different?

How do I get the SCART signal into a monitor if I go for that option?

Will an LCD of whatever sort never look quite as good a picture as the 16" CRT that I have (it's an Aiwa, has a very clear picture

Help! I'm clearly ignorant!

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Need to know what sort of size of screen you want. Sounds like a 17" Widescreen up to a 23". This would be a good size comparable with your old 16" CRT.

TV would be better. Pixel Response is really much the same on both TV's and monitors, but the TV wins as it will make connecting your bits and bobs easier and have many more useful features.

Get back to us with preferred screen size...

Jimmy

3. douglas_small

douglas_small
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that!

You're right - 17" or so, going on an extended arm so needs to have a decent chassis.

Basically I will have a PC of the HTPC-ish variety - mostly for browsing, DVD playback, bit of TV recording & music playback. No/little gaming. I use a 17" TFT (dabsvalue) for my other pc.

I'm a bit dumb on screens though - key areas to consider seem to be response time, refresh rate, input connections - but most of all what I want is as crisp a picture as I can get for both TV and PC use - and I don't want ghosting on rugby players or Sky labels/dogtags

Make sense?

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The problem with this size range is that there isn't a great choice of TV's. The one that comes to mind is the Relisys one, which is pretty crummy...The likes of Sharp and Philips don't do much in this sector...

More input from other Forum members needed.

Jimmy

5. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Try the Philips 17PF9946, 16ms response time and S-IPS panel means low black-to-grey response times (16ms is black-to-white-to-black). I think 16ms is about the fastest you can get for a 17" TV. The Toshiba 17WL46B also uses an IPS panel but has 25ms response time, slight smearing reported. The Sharp LL-171ME has 25ms response time, not sure what panel technology it uses, and quite a few reports of smearing (search this forum).

If you're planning to play DVDs from the computer, definitely use the VGA input, the TV-out tends to be over-filtered.

You may be able to get away with a monitor as you don't mention that you need terrestrial reception. Some of them have S-video inputs (not SCART though) which matches nicely with the corresponding output on the Sky+ box. Acer have the AL1931m 19" 5:4 monitor. The problem with that one is it uses an MVA panel, hence slow black-to-grey response. I believe Dell have a few monitors with S-video input as well but they tend to be on the pricey side.

6. douglas_small

douglas_small
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jon.

If I go up to 19" is there much improvement in the market?

7. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    For TVs, I don't think so, not in terms of response time. The really fast response times of 12ms and below tend to be found in larger TVs, 32" I think (e.g. the Toshiba 32WL48).

You can get 17" monitors with as low as 8ms response times, then you could add one of the AverTV boxes to convert and deinterlace the S-video/composite input to VGA. That's an extra box though.

Probably best if you have a demo of the 17PF9946 first and see if you like it.

8. douglas_small

douglas_small
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, that's the conclusion I'd arrived at. Got to find somone who'll demo sports, then I'm in business.

Incidentally I looked at a Video7 17" TV. It's pitched as a combo TV/PC monitor. Once I'd messed about with the factory settings enough the contrast and brightness were OK, but the clarity of picture was disappointing and the smearing was awful. And it looks like a computer monitor.

9. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Video7 LCD TVs are rebadged OEM TVs and aimed at the budget end. The 17" one is also sold as a Umax or Yamada at Ebuyer. Given its price and the narrow vertical viewing angle (130deg), it likely uses a TN+Film type panel. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for ;)