LCD TV interfering with NTL box

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by wynne_g_oldman, Mar 8, 2006.

1. wynne_g_oldman

wynne_g_oldman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but ever since I bought a LCD TV (Samsung LE32R41BDX) my Pace NTL box keeps changing channel/going into the EPG etc. on it's own. I called out an NTL engineer and he told my missus that the TV was causing the problem, and to try moving the box back a bit. He said that he had seen quite a few cases like this. Does anyone know how my TV could effect the box in this manner? It's not the remote controls, because it does it when I'm not using them.

2. jeallen01

jeallen01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Could be!

However, the problem can be radiated emissions from the interconnecting cables when poorly screened "TV coax" is used.

I had the problem the other way round when I installed my first PACE digibox in 1998.

Suggest you try replacing all the coax around the units with double-screened satellite coax - preferably good quality and genuine CT100/WF100 etc, as this is often the cure with satellite receiver problems of a similar nature.

Won't cost you much for a few metres of this type of cable, which you can get from Maplins (would not buy it from DIY stores such as B&Q because they sometimes sell cheaply made sat coax. OTOH would not buy a large amount of cable from Maplins because they are extortionately expensive for this stuff in large quantities! ). Ordinary TV plugs (use the metal body type) can usually be made to fit - but take care to ensure full 360 degree screening continuity inside.

John A

3. ripkord

ripkord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    its the light sensor i thin i have read about this problem, if your set has one, turn it off if you can and see if that fixes it

4. jayla

jayla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

2 weeks ago I bought a Samsung LE40M61B and it causes simillar problems to my STB. After a while powering on both devices (STB and TV), my STB won't react on IR commands any longer. I allready tried to switch of the "Light detection" - it doesn't help. I even tried to unplug all cables of the TV and the STB- it doesn't help. Once switching off the TV - my STB reacts on IR commands again.
    I suppose it has to do with the optical foil on the LCD panel which reflects the IR commands to my STB. The STB itself has a bug (my oppinion) in recognizing "true" IR commands.
    I already directed this problem to my STB manufacturer. Up to now I don't have an answer.
    I keep you informed - I will also include the Samsung technical stuff.

Best regards
    Joachim :confused:

5. dhague

dhague

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply, but I found this thread because I have the same problem - the Samsung 46" 6-series LCD HDTV I just bought suddenly rendered by NTL/Virgin remote useless with the Samsung 2100 STB it has been controlling for years.

My solution, following similar advice from other forums, was to cut out a piece of black plastic bag to cover the whole plastic part of the STB display (covering just a part, even just the IR sensor, didn't work). This piece of black plastic bag seems to be just enough to cut out the interference from the TV, while still letting the beam from the remote through.

Hope this helps someone,
    Darren

6. ByTheFireplace

ByTheFireplace
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this problem too and they sent someone out and swapped the box over, but he said it could also be the LCD interfering with the box. V+ is now further back in the cabinet and we've not had a problem since.