1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD TV - HiDef ready with DVB Tuner - question

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by MilesR, Mar 21, 2005.

1. MilesR

MilesR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I (like everyone else ;) ) am looking into buying a 32" LCD TV.
    However, I'd prefer one that includes a DVB tuner.
    The reviews on the Toshiba 32WL48 look fantastic, but no DVB tuner.

However, an answer to this question might swing it for me...

When the broadcasters start broadcasting HD signals (e.g. the BBC in 2010) - does anyone know whether the internal DVB tuners be able to handle these and display in HD quality?
    If people say no, then I'll be going for the Tosh and a seperate freeview box (to be replaced in 2010 ;)) - if yes, then I'll wait for the next 32" with built-in DVB (and with a good review!)

Cheers for the info
    Miles

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The BBC don't know themselves what format they will be broadcasting HDTV in. They have their own CODEC that they are evaluating. It certainly won't be in any decoders that exist commercially at present. In addition, most internal DTV tuners are connected internally via an SD RGB connection. So even if it was possible to do a s/w upgrade in 5 years time, you could only view it in SD.

But i-DTV tuners do generally produce a better PQ than most STB's.

-Ian

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Surely the BBC will be broadcasting alongside Sky over HD satellite next year? The Tosh is a sensible purchase and a Freeview box a fair enough 'filler' until HD STB's are relaesed by Sky next year.

Jimmy

4. MilesR

MilesR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I don't currently have Sky and no plans to get it either. (I really don't watch enough TV to warrant it).
    So its really only the DVB that I'll be concerned with. I know its still 5 years away for terrestrial broadcasts to come out in HD (according to the BBC anyway), and by which time I'll probably have to buy another STB anyway...but I figured I might as well buy a TV with an integrated DVB tuner anyway. I've read that there are quite a few more sets being released in the next few months so might just hang on.

It surprises me that with the analogue cut-off only a few years away manufacturers are still making TVs without the integrated DVB tuners. I know that a lot of people may have cable/Sky - but they have to assume that people don't have it.

In the meantime I'll keep reading the mags and checking out the forums for info.

Cheers!
    Miles

5. BobD

BobD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There was a thread recently which stated that Toshiba will be introducing a new range of LCD tv's available with integrated freeview tuners - 32WLT56 was the model.
    Also the Panasonic range which has the freeview tuner now will be upgraded to have a digital DVI or HDMI input.
    Some advanced info of future SONY lcd tv's indicates they may have freeview and digital inputs.
    The picture on my Toshiba 17WLT46 lcd tv using the integrated freeview tuner is really good as I presume there is no digital to analogue and then analogue to digital conversion process which you would have if you used an external freeview tuner on a scart input. the picture is really much better than analogue terestrial and also better that the best picture on SKY.
    So wait and see....

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hmmm. Bit of a sweeping statement there Bob!

I would say that some Sky channels (ITV, Ch5, SKY) are possibly better than Freeview, and others (BBC) perhaps not as good. But to say that Freeview DVB is better across the board is misleading.

Jimmy

7. DaveBUK

DaveBUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The thread is http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195884 and the models are :

Analogue tuner
    23WL56
    27WL56
    32WL56
    37WL56

All available May 05

Digital Freeview tuner
    27WLT58 available Aug 05
    32WLT58 available Aug 05
    37WLT58 available Sep 05
    42WLT58 available Oct 05

Dave

8. BobD

BobD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jimsan,

Sweeping statement or not?
    Well consider what some people consider to be the best LCD tv around today the Philips 9986 connected up to a SKY box via an RGB Scart cable or similarly connected up to a Freeview box via a RGB Scart cable.
    Now the digital picture obtained from the decoder will be converted to an analogue signal for transmission down the scart cable to the tv. This analogue signal will then be converted back into a digital signal in the tv before it can be shown on the digital LCD screen. Unless the frequency response of both conversion processes is much higher than the video bandwidth of the signal conversion then errors will be introduced. This is why there is so much interest in using HDMI and DVI connections wherever possible to transmit a truly digital video signal from DVD players etc. The use of an internal Freeview decoder in a digital tv enables the digital decoder output to be displayed directly on the digital LCD screen and will result in the best possible representation of that video picture.
    In my opinion all digital tv's should have an internal freeview decoder if only to ensure they are truly future proof and as good as the present LCD tv's are there is no doubt that the next generation will be truly digital.
    A lot of the picture settings we see for these LCD digital tv's are really a bit of a bodge to obtain the best picture with a relatively poor analogue source.
    I suggest you audition a good LCD tv with an internal freeview decoder and then give us your opinion.

BobD

9. MilesR

MilesR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DaveBUK - thanks for that info on the Tosh LCDs
    Looks like I'll wait till the Autumn and re-decide then - since I would prefer one with built-in DVB tuner.

The 32WLT58 sounds like the one for me (providing its as good as the 32WL48 seems to be)

Cheers
    Miles

10. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    On all implementations of i-DTV tuners that I have seen, including displays with digital inputs, the internal tuner has been connected by good old SD RGB analogue. No direct digital interface. The benefit in quality is due to how tight this integration is, no long lengths of cable or external sockets.

-Ian

11. BobD

BobD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Toshiba 17WLT46 LCD TV with i-DTV can display the analogue picture and the digital freeview picture side by side at the same time which would imply that there are 2 video speed analogue to digital converters in the tv. Since these devices are not cheap this is unlikely to be the case just to provide the dual picture funtion.

BobD

12. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Sounds like standard PIP functionality to me. My screen can do it with 2 analogue tuners or a number of the external analogue inputs too. But it sort of blows your digital link theory out of the water since most screens that most screens cannot PIP their digital input with an analogue on (and often the HD component inputs too) as these are introduced into the video chain well after the PIP functions have taken place.

-Ian

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    new panny Veira LCD are DVB and HDMI HDready..............worth a look 26" and 32" sizes IIRC

14. VurtHed

VurtHed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    TX26LXD1

TX32LXD1

No D-Sub or DVI/HDMI by looks of it.

Reviews here and here suggests 32" may not even support HD! ( I don't see why 26" would be any different).

15. yonderblue

yonderblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    TX-32LXD500 and TX-26LXD500 same inputs etc as the Plasma cousins both are 1366x768 res panels 800:1 contrast

17. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Saw them at recent trade show.HD compliant (HDCP) models have '500' in model number.HD LCDs looked impressive.
    Alan

18. VurtHed

VurtHed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thansk yonderblue! Apologies Hornydragon and anyone I may have confused! :oops: Saw a review saying 'new' and 2+2=5! The ones I mentioned are of course the old new and not the new new.

19. MilesR

MilesR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one guys...I'll be checking those out in July then!

20. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Returning back to the "Direct Digital Link" on iDLCD TV, where the freeview box sends its digital signal directly to the LCD's digital processor, instead of first converting to analogue.

1) Do any of the new generation of iD LCD TV's have direct digital links, or are they still merely parasitic freeview boxes?

2) Are we likely to see one, or is the market too small for Big Japanese Makers to develop one for?

3) Are there any freeview boxes with DVI / HDMI outputs (I have a HTPC, which sorts of achieves this: Freeview card + DVI out)?