LCD TV HDMI-DVI query?

z3usx

Novice Member
Hi

i want to buy a sony kdl-20s2030 lcd tv too hook up my pc, ps2 and next gen console, dvd player and freeview box.

However, i want to get the best pciture quality when using my pc so i thought using a dvi-hdmi cable would do the trick. But looking through these forums (and there is a lot to look through) regarding this dvi-hdmi, i find myself a bit confused.

Stuff like 1:1 pixelmapping on DVI to HDMI, overscan, etc etc i have no idea what this about as this will be my first experience with hdmi.

Basically can i do this with the above sony tv and what would be the trade offs when compared to using VGA connection to a pc.

Any help with this or any issues i should know about would be much appreciated.

PeteD64

Novice Member
1:1 pixel mapping is when each pixel that you output from your PC gets mapped by the TV to a physical pixel on it's screen.

e.g. if you have an LCD PC monitor with a resolution of 1280x1024 you would normally set your PC to output it's graphics at the same resolution so you get a nice sharp image. It will still work if you set your PC to output at 1024x768 but the monitor will need to scale the picture up to 1280x1024 & it will look a bit fuzzy, especially for text.

Ideally you want 1:1 mapping on your TV if you want to display small text from your PC. It's also quite useful for displaying videos because you can get the PC to do all the upscaling of the picture & avoid the TV doing a 2nd upscale to make it fit. Not all LCD TVs will do 1:1 mapping & it's even rarer to find one that supports it on the HDMI port, most only do it via the VGA (15 pin d-sub) input. HDMI is usually limited to video type resolutions, e.g. 720p (1280x720).

I'm not sure how well that particular Sony works with a PC. It's bigger brother (32S2010) doesn't do 1:1 over HDMI afaik but can support 1360x768 on VGA port. (As long as the TV has 6 blank columns it's still 1:1 mapping 1360 columns from the PC onto it's physical 1366 pixels).

Overscan means the TV removes the outer edges of the picture. With TV pictures there's sometimes artifacts/rubbish at the outside edges that would be distracting if shown on screen. Because the TV expects you to plug in DVD players, STBs etc rather than a PC into HDMI ports it applies overscan to the image. It's a pain with a PC because you lose things like the start bar in windows. A few TVs will let you disable overscan on the HDMI port but not many. I think some of the newer graphics drivers can compensate for the overscan as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: TCL C815 TV, Denon & Huawei wireless speaker reviews, New Sony 4K PJ's and more
Top Bottom