LCD TV / HD TV / HDMI Problem?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by MiniEmma, Jan 25, 2008.

1. MiniEmma

MiniEmma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi [​IMG]

We are trying to diagnose an intermittent problem with our TV. I hope this is the correct place to post.

Whilst watching Sky HD our TV suddenly does what is shown in this clip.....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi2gzWgzpkg

and more recently this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckpBwS6z0EY

It has only happened while watching Sky HD on the HDMI but this is possibly because that is what we watch 95% of the time. It has also happened while watching a sky+ playback.

The TV is set to show a blue screen when there is no input, if we switch the blue screen option off then this problem shows as a flickering black screen.

Turning the TV off and then on again clears the problem.
    or
    Turning the Sky HD off and then on clears the problem.
    or
    Switching Input channel cleared the problem.

The first clip shows what happens if we bring up the TV menu and then shows what happens if we switch the Thomson HDTV box off and then on again.

Originally, switching Input channels cleared the problem. The second clip shows what has happened more recently when switching Input channels (AV etc.) i.e. it seems the problem is getting worse.

Which bit is faulty?? TV or HD box [​IMG] Both the TV and the box are only a few months old so could be repaired/replaced but we don't want to incur an engineer charge if we call out the wrong engineer.

We have tried a new cable but this did not help. I have spent as much time as I can playing Xbox using the HDMI but the problem has not occured. This doesn't really help though as we can go 5 days with no problem while watching TV. although I would love to spend 5 days playing Xbox, it's not really practical :D

Has anyone experienced anything like this at all?

2. MiniEmma

MiniEmma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow ! I didn't know those links would show as videos !!! Very clever forum :) I hope it was OK to do that?

3. Dubplate

Dubplate
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ouch that looks bad. Do you have anything else with hdmi that works ok on the tv?

Edit: xbox360 i see, so its probably ur sky box then unless ur using a different hdmi slot for it u may have a faulty hdmi port on the tv? I'd rule that out unless u only have one hdmi port?

4. Dodger3

Dodger3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    What is make and model of TV?

5. MiniEmma

MiniEmma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies.

It's a Goodmans LD3261HDFVT.

Just as I was reading your replies it had a fit again. This time I unplugged the HDMI cable from the HD box and the problem persisted on all inputs, including those with no signal. This leads me to beleive it is a problem on the TV BUT then I plugged the cable back in and it auto changed to the HDMI channel and cleared the problem.

I have not spent enough time using the Xbox to discount the TV as the problem by that means.

Have I posted this thread in the correct forum? I did not have a long look around the site before I posted but have now noticed an HD TV Hardware thread, would that be a better place?

6. Dodger3

Dodger3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Can't find anything listed for standard faults for that model. Almost certainly it is the TV at fault and not your Sky box as the video clip show it happening with the TV's own internal menus.

7. MiniEmma

MiniEmma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dodger, that's what we had pretty much concluded too. I just want to be really sure and have lots to say before I call out a technician.

I realised last night that I have Sky fed upstairs by magic eye so I can check the status of the box up there :)

I'm keeping a video and paper record of everything that happens to show a technician as it is not a fault we can recreate.

8. MiniEmma

MiniEmma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, after much deliberation, we called in Comet to look at the TV. The guy came today and decided it's a main board problem and ordered a new one under warranty (£300 and the Tv was only £399). We're hoping they write it off to be honest.

9. avinitski

avinitski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    one can always rely on Goodmans.....sarcasm over.

now someone will post "all tvs can go wrong" :D

10. MiniEmma

MiniEmma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Comet did indeed write off the TV and gave us a full refund.

We promptly went to John Lewis and bought another TV

and the problem persisted......

Admittedly the new TV coped better and didn't show the lines and colours but picture and sound were lost.

Sky gave us a new HD box yesterday :cool:

11. Dubplate

Dubplate
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    so it was the box after all :D