1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD TV for Surfing and MS Office

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Gavin Oliver, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Gavin Oliver

Gavin Oliver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I would be interested to hear of members views as to what to look for in monitor to be used for Internet access as well as being used as a Home Theatre?

What screen resolution is like for reading email. Microsoft Office and surfing etc.
    Any thoughts will be much appreciated .

Gavin

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi again Gavin,

If you want to use the screen for Home Theatre as well, I would suggest you look for a screen which has a true 16:9 ratio unlike many LCDs that are 15:9. This way you'll be able to view 16:9 material without stretching or black bars. The most recent Sharp and Philips 32" and upwards screens meet this criterion and also feature DVI and VGA ports for connection to a computer.

3. Gavin Oliver

Gavin Oliver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info RCT,

Which connection is better for Surfing DVI or VGA
    What experience do others have of using a LCD for Surfing and "Microsoft Office"

Gavin

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I connected my laptop to my 32" screen (1366x768 pixels) via VGA. I only had a limited set of resolutions to choose (other people use powerstrip to get around this but my chipset was not supporting custom resolutions).

Overall, the quality from VGA was more than acceptable, however, the limited screen resolution was odd although you could nodoubt get use to it. Whilst my laptop screen is 1024x768, using this resolution of the 'large' screen was very odd - I could stretch it to fit 1366 if I needed and for general browsing, this was my personal preference. The other resolution available was 1280x768, but even though the quality was more than adequate, I had the feeling that screen area was missing and felt very confined vertically. I am use to PC resolutions of 1024x768, 1600x1024 and 1280x1024 which may explain this.

Finally, I felt that watching a 32" screen at my normal viewing distance of about 10ft everyting was too small for comfort. I guess 5-6 ft would be more comfortable. At 2ft or less, everyting is uncomfortably big with bits of the screen being within my peripheral vision. Even at 5-6 ft, I preferred my 13.5" laptop screen at arms length.

-Ian

5. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    DVI, would be the preferrred option but your computer needs a graphics card with a DVI-D connector.

6. Gavin Oliver

Gavin Oliver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any problem using DVI I as my Radeon Card has this output

7. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    DVI-I usuually means the card will output both analogue (DVI-A) and digital (DVI-D) so it should be fine :)