1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD TV for bedroom

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by nealb, May 4, 2004.

1. nealb

nealb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

I have decided to get rid of my 21" Sony stereo (but pre nicam) tele in the bedroom. It's been 100% reliable for a good 15 years or so but something bolted to the wall makes far more sense.

I have been looking for a screen with freeview built in a also PC inputs too... Nothing... Have I missed something? Or have the manufacturers? I really dont want to have another box attached to it.

I'm not too sure on the screen size but have a feeling I'll want something around 20" widescreen.

Any suggestions?

I've seen an LG RZ23LZ20 and also the Philips 23PF9945 and also a very nice but v expensive new Sony 26" one which is out of the question.

Is LCD good enough yet to replace a CRT?

Thanks for any help given.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,023
    http://www.digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=1534

Is LCD good enough yet to replace a CRT?

In many respects they are better than CRTs. The obvious size/weight factor, plus perfect geometry, completely flcker free, perfect convergence and no image "bounce". And no permanent screen burn from logos etc.

Better LCDs (this is one) have good viewing angles in all four directions, and are fast enough for TV viewing.

The only shortfall common to all LCDs, but less so with newer models is greyness of black. They actually look best WITH some ambient lighting.

3. Russ

Russ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Interesting ! I have just replaced a 20" Trinitron which has given great service for about 20years ! I bought the JVC 26" LCD because of the larger picture size, higher resolution and great colour fidelity. I considered the Sharp LC-22AD1E, and this is a great TV, but I pipe TV arround the house so an external freeview box is a better bet. Note the JVC and Sharp are similar money now.

There are some downsides.

LCD tvs are most definitely digital devices with lots of digital processing. This means that there can be a very blocky (artifacts)
    appearance - more so in noisy situations. I have seen the new Sony LCDs with very blocky pictures.

The picture can also be very variable in sharpness, looking soft, but the detail is there, and it varies with source.

The Sharpe LCDs (22") are very good - even though the screen technology has been out for over 12 months now (yes, even in the new IDTV version).

The 26" JVC has very nice colours and excellent field of view, in an extremely sexy design, but also suffers with blocky pictures in noisy situations and can be soft. Play a DVD and things get much better. I am still working on picture settings on my JVC.

The tradeoffs are there - nothing will outshine a CRT for some time, but CRTs have just got physically bigger and I think the real attraction of LCDs is the slim (not always light !) design. Someday all TVs will be built this way !!

By the way, the Sharp TV Nigel mentions weighs 20KG (according to the website) , the JVC is 19.5KG - this is not feather light ! .

Note also that mounting brackets are cheaper for VESA mount TVS but at these weights you are in plasma bracket territory and best price I have come up with is about £125 ish for a wall bracket. The JVC is not VESA mount compatible (120mm x 180mm)

Check out Unicol though - they may have something just under £100.

Hope this helps !

Russ

4. nealb

nealb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    OK,
    Thanks for getting back to me.
    Are the Philips / LG 23" ones I have seen any good as I have seen these for less £ than the JVC or Sharp ones. They are also higher res with PC inputs.
    I have come to the conclusion that I will have to get an external freeview box after all - don't want to wait 6 to 12 months before decent sized screens come on the market with them in.
    Thanks,
    Neal.

5. Lameway

Lameway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neal - if you can, buy a twin tuner freeview box so you can record something different to what you're watching - something like the Pace Twin is very good, easy enough menus and no bug problems as it's been out a good while and had a few software updates. It's even pretty good with weakish signals if you're not in the 'perfect area'.

Bit off topic I know but thought the advice may come in handy :)

6. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 23" JVC is now about £1084 including delivery so not much more than the Philips and it has a vga input.

7. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,023
    If, by 'decent size' you mean say 22/23 inch, then LCD IDTVs are already on the market. The Sharp Aquos item I quoted is one example.

8. nealb

nealb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi guys,

Thanks for all the advise.

Yes I am thinking of 22" (ish) screens rather than 17", pity as even Humax are making idtv's of this size.

Did look at the sharp one but it doesn't have a PC input and the res is quite low.

Didn't think any of the JVC's had PC inputs? I'll double check.

Ideally didn't want a freeview box as just want the one thing on the wall - did see somewhere was bundling the LG screen with LG freeview / DVD sound system for £1200 though - tempting!

Not easy this LCD tele business. You'd think think they'd all have digi tuner built in from the offset.

9. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Slightly off topic:

I have seen quiet a few LCD screens and found the PQ quiet good but found problems with light bleeding in patches at edges.

This condition is almost un-noticeable in the shops due to lighting levels, but I have tried three different brands and they have all suffered to some extent, especially when viewing in a dark room and the picture having black bars top and bottom. (WS on 4:3)

I found it so distracting I got my money back and haven't bothered looking since.

I was buying at the cheaper end of the market in the 15"-17" range £400-£600 mark. This maybe applicable to other models at the upper end of market as well.

10. jonwilde

jonwilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking for 20" to 23" LCD's for over a month now and am still no wiser as to which model to go for, the current issue of What HiFi gives the Sharp 20" i think 5 stars but having seen this next to Sony 23" I couldn't really make out any difference between the two in picture quality. Do What HiFi tend to give better reviews to manufacturers who spend a fair bit on advertising or am I being cynical.
    I am favouring the Sony as it has a memory stick slot on the side. Are Philips bringing out any new LCD's in the near future also ?

Thanks Jon

11. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,023
    Without seeing specs I'm not 100% sure but....

The most likely difference between <anybody's> 20 inch set and <anybody's> 22 or 23 incher, is that the latter will be widescreen, and the former will be 4x3.

nealb: I agree. In my view, all WS TVs should by default have dual (analog/digital) tuners. I remain mystified as to why so few do. But they ARE appearing.

PC Nut: It is probably true that most (if not all) LCD TVs are best watched with some ambient lighting, rather than in total darkness. In these circumstances, the still inherent lack of contrast is much less of an issue.

12. nealb

nealb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    OK OK,
    Looks like unless I wait (might very well do) I will have to go for a tele thats without freeview. Not ideal and think the government should force manufacturers to include it all on new screens....
    Anyway. Are the LG / Philips 23" widescreens any good? They seems to be the right sort of price.
    I've also seen Sanyo are releasing screens and these are freeview! Any ideas on quality?
    Thanks again.

13. appledell

appledell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Forget about res.

I have a sharp 22 and the picture is very good. I have mine in the bedroom and view it mainly in the dark. One the picture settings are right - the picture is very good with no light bleeding

14. pete1960

pete1960

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting.

My shopping list has the sharp Lc22sv2e, and Philips 17PF9945 at the top, I found the best revieews were for the philips and I am now wondering if I should go for the 23PF9945 but is it worth the extra 450 notes?

15. nealb

nealb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sharp vs philips... exactly what i am doing but also there is the LG 23" which i have seen for £1200 with DVD / Freeview sound system. Should be the same screen as the philips.

Still tempted to wait for more proper freeview screens to come out over the next few months.

Of the sharp and philips it is the later than wins for me so far as it has a greater res and a pc input - might not be important to everyone though.

16. pete1960

pete1960

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it is time to take the plunge and go for the philips 23". There comes a point when too much deliberating just puts off the inevitable. Wish me luck.

17. Lameway

Lameway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good luck pete - i'm sure you won't regret it! And you're right - by the time you wait to see what the next gen LCDs are like spec-wise, the prices are high on the new models and you wait deliberating till theycome down, then the new LCDs come out..

As Nigel said, a bit of ambient lighting does the world of good - the black levels are nowhere as good as a £1k CRT but you get used to the slight difference very quickly :)

Let us know how it all turns out!

Lameway

18. nealb

nealb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for everyones help here
    ended up getting a netgem freeview box £55, and just ordered a philips 23" LCD with a DVDR70 for £1080 from unbeatable.
    should work wonders me thinks.

19. pete1960

pete1960

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive ordered the phillips 23" from Hi Fi Care 020 8799 8605 £989 inc delivery. Should be here for friday....watch this space !

20. chrismox

chrismox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'd be interested to see how you get on with the 23" Philips, been thinking of getting one myself.

Particularly interested on how it works with a PC plugged in.

21. pete1960

pete1960

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The ability to use it as a second monitor was a consideration, I will be trying this at some point. I do CAD work but I expect i will end up playing the odd DVD via a playstation2 which I have on loan.

Do Xbox play DVD's ?
    (ah yes they do, let me rephrase this..... do I buy a playstaion xbox or dedicated DVD player ? Is a £100 toshiba DVD player for instance going to wipe the floor over the console or do I have to spend a lot more on a DVD player to get the noticable improvement ? Is there a comparative review around out there somewhere? )

22. nealb

nealb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Exactly why I went for it in the end, I would have got a sharp if they had a PC input.

Should have mine by the end of the week so I'll let you all know. Can't see it being bad though.

Pity I've had to end up getting a stand alone freeview box in the end. Oh well.

23. chrismox

chrismox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Has it turned up yet?

24. nealb

nealb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Not yet.. as per usual the stuff I've chosen is out of stock!

25. pete1960

pete1960

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Fi Care delivered the goods as promised on the day as promised, at the price they quoted.

I was expecting to have a 'blocky' picture, but it really is quite good. There's loads of inputs and the remote looks as if I may be able to master it !

Have tried DVD via playstation2 and a £200 toshiba. The sound is noticeably better with the toshiba but there is little difference with the picture although I would say that if I had two copies of the same DVD and switched between source, I would pick up the differences. Altogether a playstation2 does give quite acceptable results (surprise surprise). Has anyone compared an Xbox with a playstaiton2 ?

Not tried using it as a PC monitor as yet but as it has 'the right' inputs, it should be just a case of swapping the monitor lead. I would expect to have to find a suitable driver though........

In summary I am one happy bunny, glad I spent the extra dosh for the 23" the size is very acceptable for my room. Next week I may even watch some telly! :clap:

26. chrismox

chrismox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sounds good, pete1960.

I look forward to hearing how you get on connecting a PC to it - it's the feature that's swaying me towards the Philips.

Don't think you'll need a driver for it - the TV has standard resolutions and I'd be amazed if Windows doesn't just recognise it as a standard plug-and-play monitor.

27. nealb

nealb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well the tele and DVD recorder arrived yesterday and I have to say I'm impressed.

So far the picture seems very stable and pixel free. Not connected it to the freeview box yet but sure I'll be just fine.

Sound I have to say is weedy for a £1k set. But I suppose you're paying for the technology here and the ability to hang it on the wall.

I've not connected it to my PC yet but really can't see it being a problem.

Overall I'm impressed and it was defo worth the extra £20 on unbeatable to get the DVDR70 with it. Just need to make that multi region now and I'll be laughing.

28. chrismox

chrismox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mind if I ask how much you paid for the package?
    Electrical Discount UK are doing the same package for £1086.98, trying to decide whether I need a DVD recorder or not.

29. nealb

nealb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    looks like they've matched the unbeatable price. I think it was about £20 less without the DVDR70.

I just figured if I didn't use the DVD recorder then I could get nearly £200 for it off ebay. Might be useful to use with the freeview box if the tivo is recording a different channel I suppose.

Only had a quick go of the DVD player, doesn't seem too bad but a little fussy with discs compared to my sony.

For the price I would say take the plunge and get both. If you haven't got a hard disc recorder then you'll love not using video tapes ever again!

30. chrismox

chrismox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I gave up on my VCR years ago when it gave up on me, and there have only ever been a few times I've wished I could video something.

My PC caters for all the DVD authoring I could ever want, so it's really a case of whether I want to pay the extra £87 (on top of what you can get the TV for on its own elsewhere) for a DVD recorder I may seldom use.

On the other side of the coin, your point about flogging it on eBay may be a consideration...

I need to stop thinking about it and put my money where my mouth is!