LCD TV Does anyone know how to repair them?

J

javamidge

I purchased a JVC LCD tv in November 2004 and an extended warranty for a further 12 months. In January 2006 the set developed a shadowy line so I contacted the insurance company to arrange a repair.

The set was collected by a local company recommended by the insurer. This repair company showed very little interest in making any repair. (never returned calls etc). After complaining regularly to the insurance company the set was finally returned to JVC on the understanding it would be replaced.

After almost two months the latest is that JVC have now passed the set onto another repair company somewhere to assess if it is to be repaired or replaced.

After a great deal of research I decided to buy a JVC set believing it to be a quality product with good customer support. However, failure at 14 months and at present no prospect of receiving a replacement or a repair after almost two months has proved me wrong.

Has anyone else found it this difficult to get an LCD repaired?

I feel your pain man. I had a similar experience with a laptop although not as bad as yours. I sincerely hope that I get several years use out of my LCD TV.

Join the club ... my Sony KLV-26HG2 developed a small fault after 16 months. Luckily there's a shop here in Glasgow that gives repair estimates for free so I'll see how that goes.

Thanks for your story. I was thinking of cutting my losses and buying a Samsung but your experience has changed my mind.

I am just hoping I won't be able to say I can beat four months without a set.

Maybe when this newer sort of technology is reviewed it would make good sense for the after sales service to be taken into account. Who wants to spend in excess of £1000 for something that cannot be quickly repaired.

I had a similar problem with my Sony V40 after only 2 months.

Sony wanted to repair it and it was collected by a local repairer (they wouldn't even look at it in situ) who pronounced it needed a whole new panel.

After they failed to source any replacement parts for 3 weeks I demanded a new set.

A friend of mine has now had a very similar fault on his 2 year old Sharp 30'' which is most noticable when veiwing football.

Is this an inherent problem with LCDs? should we all expect our expensive purchases to last only 2 years max?

javamidge said:
Thanks for your story. I was thinking of cutting my losses and buying a Samsung but your experience has changed my mind.

I am just hoping I won't be able to say I can beat four months without a set.

Maybe when this newer sort of technology is reviewed it would make good sense for the after sales service to be taken into account. Who wants to spend in excess of £1000 for something that cannot be quickly repaired.

I had a problem develop with what appeared to be the image processing engine on my Samsung LE32R51B after a couple of days. Thanks to a retailer who wouldn't do jack, I ended up giving it to a Samsung authorised repair agent.

Much to my delight, they had it fixed in 3 days! So it's not always bad - I had been expecting it to take weeks, if not potentially months.

Gav

As an ex TV repair engineer, I can say that the days of calling your local TV repair company are virtaully over. Over the past couple of years, constantly falling prices and the increase in complexity and variety of consumer electronics has made it almost impossible for your "average" technician to be able to stay in business. For over 20 years, the TV/Video repair trade has been slowly declining. It has taken quite a long time, but most independant engineers have now hung up their soldering irons. LCD TVs are still "expensive" enough to justify being repaired, but I would think that the complexity of the technology inside these items would mean that it would be a job for an authorised repair centre. It`s a bit like the situation with modern cars, your local mechanic might be able to change the oil, but may have trouble with ECU faults. Extended guarantees have come in for a fair bit of critsism in the media recently, but if I was spending >£500 on an LCD, i`d spend a bit extra on a warranty.

BTW. I still haven`t seen an LCD that I would buy, and for those who have already gone "HD ready", I`m sure that your investment is paying off ! :rotfl: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom