LCD TV background NOISE!

B

Braders

I've just purchased a Samsung LE40R51B 40inch LCD TV and am on the whole very pleased with it. However, it makes a buzzing noise whenever the screen is on. Is this normal with LCD's, or is it specific to this set / Samsung? The noise is loud enough that at normal TV volume levels there is no ignoring it.

Please help.

S

sneekyb

My Sharp LCD has no buzzing noise whatsoever. If the sound is on mute I can hear no other sound from the TV.

C

Chanes

I've heard of this, and you've been linked to the thread with the details. Perhaps it is part of the Samsung tech and normal for them, though if it was so loud it could be heard over the TV, that couldn't be right? My JVC is totally silent with regard to any unexpected noise, though it does click twice shortly after I switch it off - does anyone know what that is about?

GaryB

Chanes said:
My JVC is totally silent with regard to any unexpected noise, though it does click twice shortly after I switch it off - does anyone know what that is about?
Those are the power supply relays shutting the set down.

nh3com

Banned
i've had 2 jvc lt37ds6 and they both buzzed like crazy when you changed the backlight. was waiting for a replacement but after 6 weeks i've got a refund. was thinking about a samsung but it they are the same then i think i'll look at something else

GaryB

nh3com said:
i've had 2 jvc lt37ds6 and they both buzzed like crazy when you changed the backlight. was waiting for a replacement but after 6 weeks i've got a refund. was thinking about a samsung but it they are the same then i think i'll look at something else
This is something that only affects the 37" and only if you turn the backlight down to a low level. Even then it's still quiet and mainly noticeable if the set is in a corner where the sound is reflected into the room by the walls.

C

Chanes

GaryB said:
This is something that only affects the 37" and only if you turn the backlight down to a low level. Even then it's still quiet and mainly noticeable if the set is in a corner where the sound is reflected into the room by the walls.
I should have mentioned I have the 32" DS6

thelurch

Braders said:
I've just purchased a Samsung LE40R51B 40inch LCD TV and am on the whole very pleased with it. However, it makes a buzzing noise whenever the screen is on. Is this normal with LCD's, or is it specific to this set / Samsung? The noise is loud enough that at normal TV volume levels there is no ignoring it.

Please help.
You have been directed to the thread I started sometime ago, and if you have read it all you will see my ongoing saga.

Now when I posted that thread I dont think I got any response from any other LE40R51B owners about buzzing. Most people who replied had the smaller screen sizes but today there have been two people post about a buzzing with their 40" screens!, now this worries me as to whether all the 40" versions buzz as the norm.

Its definately the power supply pcb as ive seen it up close buzzing and im just wondering if the 40" version has the same psu as the other models, obviously it uses more juice and maybe thats the problem. It may be working ever so slightly too hard.

Samsung have admitted that it should not buzz overtly and the TV should be "whisper" quiet ( depends how you interpret that )and my second engineer that visited has stated that it definatly sounded like a faulty psu, although as you will see from my other thread I now take their opinions with a pinch of salt!

So If all the 40" samsungs buzz then its really not acceptable, if they can make the smaller models quiet then they should be able to on the 40

GaryB

thelurch said:
... if they can make the smaller models quiet then they should be able to on the 40
It's technically more difficult to do this as the load on the power supply increases with screen size.

digitalwolf

My 26" samsung LCD makes a constant noise on the right hand side of my TV. It can be heard when the TV is running, and does get louder as the TV gets warmer!

Do the smaller samsung sets make a noise?

thelurch

GaryB said:
It's technically more difficult to do this as the load on the power supply increases with screen size.
It may be technically more difficult for them to do that but Samsung dont find it technically more difficult to charge about £800 more for the 40"! so surely if this is the problem then they surely could redesign a slightly uprated psu?

They will be forced to do it if they keep getting customers like me and the others complaining about it, when they get too many returned screens for this problem.

Trending threads

Top Bottom