1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD TV and DVD HDD combination

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by SimonS, Apr 24, 2005.

1. SimonS

SimonS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I have a small dilema. I need to completely replace my TV and VHS (Gave the TV away and the Video is temperamental). I am looking for a 26" LCD TV (LCD is the best option mainly due to size of set and my small living room). I don't currently have access to Digital TV (Freeview).
    I want the best combination of TV, Recording and Digital TV reception.
    I have considered the following, and would like some opinions / advice:

1. Panasonic TX26 ...50
    2. Loewe Xelos A26
    3. Panasonic EH50 HD and DVD recorder
    4. Humax HD with freeview together with a DVD recorder.

I have seen both TV's and have been impressed with the pictures, esp. the Loewe. The Loewe doesn't have freeview, which complicates thre choice, as, if I went for this TV together with the Panasonic EH50, I'd still need to get a freeview box. I also like the flexible combination of HD and DVD recording. Hope this rambling post makes sense. So any help much appreciated

:lease:

Thanks

Simon

2. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
  3. SimonS

SimonS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK....so how about this as a straight choice (i'm really struggling with this)

Loewe Xelos a26 + Panasonic EH50 Hard drive / DVD Recorder + Freeview Box

OR

Panasonic TX26 LXD50 + Panasonic EH50 Hard drive / DVD Recorder

4. pryce3

pryce3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you do realise the panasonic isnt hd ready and the loewe is basically made by sharp with a higher price tag

5. SimonS

SimonS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I basically knew that...yes. They have the best PQ that I've seen so far. Is there anything else I should be looking at ?

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I believe that the A26 has a D-TV card available as an option. If it is anything like the D-TV/D-Sat card for the SL series it will not have MHEG so no interactive text but will have the EPG. To be honest though, an external STB would probably be my preferred solution. The SL, so probably the A26, has an option to insert RGB to all channels. So you can plug your freeview box in and no matter what channel you select on the TV, you get the RGB input. The Loewe remote can control many other devices, but is not a learning remote so there may be some that are not covered - but the single remote may control both TV and STB.

I think you will find that the Sharp models that this is most similar to, the GA6, which incidentally are not yet available, are actually made by Loewe. Even though much of the hardware may be shared, the Sharp and Loewe software will be quite different and much of Loewe's picture enhancement technology is unlikely to make their way to the Sharp models.