1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD TV advice sought from old timer.....!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Bristol Pete, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Hi,

I am moving soon and I would like a nice LCD TV to partner my modded xbox as I have it running via progressive component. One thing I note is that progressive seems to allow my favourite game Pro Evo4 to run faster and smoother than on a regular CRT where it is like playing in treacle... :confused:

As such I am looking for a nice LCD with component in and a reasonable picture for the xbox and occasional DVD.

Any ideas where to start looking!?!?!?!

Does not need to be massive - 20" I suppose....

Cheers,

Pete.

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
  3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Hi Pete, I don't know the first thing about flat panel displays but I've got a 24" CRT which I think might be a better size to consider.

I get lots of emails through from the lights of Savastore and Misco who keep trying to sell me cheap flat panel televisions. :)

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Your main problem will be that LCD TV's are primarily TV's, even though many of them will accept PC inputs, and their screens will have a lag which would not be noticeable in TV mode, but which could cause problems in PC mode.

5. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Cap,

A lot of the LCDs nowadays (If not all) cater for Hi Def at 26" and above. Maybe you should think about upsizing to 26" so you can use the Hi Def output from the Xbox to good use ?!

LCDs have the problem with ghosting and so you need to have an LCD with a refresh rate of 16ms or quicker. The latest LCDs have 16ms and the newer ones (Toshiba I think) are 12ms. Older ones are 25ms.

I've got a Sharp 32" and I can't see any ghosting apart from the very rare occaision where a footballis punted up by the keeper in a footie match, but even then I blame that on Freeview. I watched The Matrix last Thursday and didn't see any ghosting whatsoever.

Have you got a budget for the TV ? Obviously the higher the price, the better the TV as with most things, but I got my TV for £1300 which compared to other TVs of similar spec is an absolute steal. There are some more LCDs coming out this summer from Sharp and Philips and I think Toshiba have already brought out their new range.

It's difficult looking at specs of LCDs because one that ticks all of the right boxes might in real life be a complete dud so you've got to get out there and play. When you do play, try to go to an independent dealer because the Johnny No Stars of Dixens and John Lewis have no idea how to set these up and compared to a CRT sat next to it, the PQ looks crap. A well set up LCD can match a CRT easily.

Nearly all have a set of Component Inputs so that wont be a problem. There is a problem with the Philips LCDs where it uses the DVI input as a Component input through a converter meaning you can't connect an Xbox and PC.

HTH,

Richie.

6. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Ideally, the budget will be below £500.00 as quite literally for xbox in the bedroom.....

Will start my research soon.

thanks so far....

Pete.