LCD tv advice required

forbesie

Standard Member
This is my first post so would like to say hello.

My CRT tv is dead and I need a new tv. At the moment it will only be used to watch Sky + and occasional Wii games but we are not hugely fussed about pinpoint quality on the games my wife plays (Brain academy & the Sports Package although may get Tiger Woods later).

I have 2 young kids who have a tendency to sit fairly close to the tv.

I have read many of the diffrent posts and reckon I have an idea of my requirements but still have a few questions

1) many LCD tvs are marked HD ready but with just 768 lines. Will this be sufficient for my needs just now

2) As my kids sit close to the tv should I just get a 32 inch screen (I had been looking at a 37 inch toshiba)

3) How long do you reckon before 1080 HD broadcast becomes closer to the norm as I don't really want to buy a tv that will be redundant soon.

and lastly

4) When 1080 broadcast does become the norm how will that affect the 768 line tvs.

Sorry my first post is asking so much. Look forward to seeing the replies.

technoflare

Novice Member
768 lines is fine for HD, many programmes are recorded in 720p. 1080p is a good thing but by no means required, this will not change, reviews in magazines still highly rate 720p sets. If you have the money to go for a well rated 1080p then fine but a poor 1080p set will be bad for SD TV and your Wii. If you give an LCD a lifespan of 7 years by the time everyone broadcasts freely on HD1080p, you maybe buying a new set anyhow.

M

mick70

I was in the same situation and popped for a Samsung LE37M87BDX and am very pleased. If you shop around you should get it for under £750 and it is futureproof.

forbesie

Standard Member
Cheers guys,

I had been thinking about a Toshiba 37x3030 approx £650 or a Samsung 32m87bdx for about £480.

The Toshiba is 1080p but may be inclined to get the Samsung if it is not imperative to get a 1080p.

One other question, will standard dvds on a bog standard dvd player work ok or will I have to get a new dvd as well. (have a few dvds but don't play them that much)

technoflare

Novice Member
Standard DVDs will work, and if you DVD player has progressive scan component out will be fine as the TV will upscale, not as good as HD DVD but it will look better. Else, get a DVD player with HDMI out (from £50+) but you may find the TV upscales better than many HDMI DVD players.

forbesie

Standard Member
I have decided to get a 32" lcd and think it will either be the Panasonic Viera TX-32LXD70 or a Samsung 32m87bdx.

I can get the Samsung for £470 or the Panasonic for £490 (both with 3 year warranty).

Which one has the best SD picture? And is the Panasonic worth the extra/

anglo

I have decided to get a 32" lcd and think it will either be the Panasonic Viera TX-32LXD70 or a Samsung 32m87bdx.

I can get the Samsung for £470 or the Panasonic for £490 (both with 3 year warranty).

Which one has the best SD picture? And is the Panasonic worth the extra/
A 32LXD70 for £490? :confused: Are you maybe mixing it up with the 32LMD70 which would be around that price. If it is a 32LXD70 please tell me where you saw it as I want one for my son and the cheapest I have seen is £599 from House of Fraser. (5 year warranty with HoF though!) :)

forbesie

Standard Member
You may be right, I will double check the model number . It is in Costco (and that was including VAT) and prices are usually very cheap there.

forbesie

Standard Member
Anglo, sorry but you were right it is the LMD70 and it costs £469.98. The Samsung costs £458.23 and they have a Sony KDL32S3020U for £528.73 but that is slightly over my budget. All tvs would have a 3 year warranty.

anglo

Anglo, sorry but you were right it is the LMD70 and it costs £469.98. The Samsung costs £458.23 and they have a Sony KDL32S3020U for £528.73 but that is slightly over my budget. All tvs would have a 3 year warranty.
No problem mate, thought it was too good to be true. :cool:
Happy hunting on your telly choice! :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom