1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD TV above fire

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Qubit, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Qubit

Qubit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I recently bought a Samsung 32BDX and the perfect position for it in our living room would be on the fireplace.

My only concern is the heat. We have a 4kw (max) hole in the wall gas fire and the TV would be sitting approximately 3 foot above this. We only use the fire during the winter and usually only for 2-3 hours per night.

I've searched the web and the advice seems to be mixed. Some people say that providing the wall temperature, where the TV will be attached, is less then 90F then it should be ok. Others say you should not attach it to the fireplace under any circumstances.

Any thoughts on this? Would the heat be likely to cause any damage?

Thanks,
    Q

2. bledd

bledd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Heat would affect the cooling of the tv, if the ambient outside temperature is to high then the unit will over heat, this does not mean that you can't place it above the fire though. If for example you have a mantle piece above the fire which protrudes out of the wall then this will help prevent the rising heat pass behind/in front of the tv.

Bledd