LCD to come of age ...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ROne, Feb 13, 2001.

1. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It appears to me that CRT has had a couple of decades to get it right. DLP and LCD are too new to be perfect.

LCD has had a pedigree of business presentation hence the poor previous showings. But now I think manufacturers have seen the light - perhaps thanks more than anything to the Sony which has drew the most attention.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that poor blacks, fan noise, contrast ratios, and pixel structure are going to be overcome very quickly. There is a definate shift in manufacturers production. New ones from Sanyo and Toshiba line the way.

The point is two other people have bought projectors on the back of seeing mine. The thought 'Hey, I didn't know you could do this for two grand. That's the price of a troublesome projection tele or the price of a beyond its capablitity bug ridden 36 crt." had never entered their head.

Problem is, I now have a few expensive hobbies. What to do?

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    I'm wondering if they could devise some sort of doubled up LCD array where there are in fact two addressable LCDs sandwiched onto each other.

One screen functions as normal. The one behind it only becomes active for the black areas of the image with a bit of falloff into the above black levels. Doubling up the opacity for the darker areas. Lowering the trademark LCD greyblack to proper black.

I suspect this would double the price though.

Any thoughts.