1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD Television or LCD Projector - Advice Welcome

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by FoxyMulder, Apr 9, 2005.

1. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been looking at prices and comparing different models of DLP LCD screens ( A good Plasma is still expensive ) Great reviews for the Samsung SP6 model but i am wondering how a DLP LCD screen compares to a projection model ( regarding pic quality and replacement bulb parts )

http://www.avland.co.uk/panasonic/ptae700/pt-ae700.htm

Could someone tell me if the above model of projector would be a good choice to buy rather than a DLP LCD screen and is the chicken wire effect i keep reading about really a problem ?

So is buying a 46inch screen Samsung DLP screen a better choice ( picture quality wise ) or is it wiser to buy a projector ? any expert advice from people who own or have considered both is welcome.

2. citrac

citrac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm no expert, but i am currently struggling to decide between a pojector (either lcd or dlp) and rear projection dlp The sagem and samsung rear projection dlps ive sen look fantastic. iTs just that i stil think I want the addditional screen size from the projector. I don't like plasma becuse of price and something about the picture I can't explain

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    The Panasonic AE700, or any of the crop of LCD or DLP projectors in that price range will give you a pic you will not believe, both in size and quality.

Projectors need better light control, you need to think about the screen and where to place it, and how to place the projector eg ceiling mount is a popular choice. Cabling needs consideration too.

In other words, setting up a PJ takes a little more effort but the results are incredible. Nothing else for me is "home cinema" (other than that 84" Sammy plasma they are releasing ;) ).

People who see my TX100 quite simply cannot believe their eyes, or the price tag.

...PJ :thumbsup:

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the 26db noise level a problem during silent moments in films and what about this firmware upgrade ( will i need to send it back to manufacturer or can it be downloaded from a computer )

5. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot to add is it possible to buy a certain paint and get the same effect as a projection screen and what price for a good ( equal pic quality to Samsung SP46 DLP TV ) 100 inch widescreen projection screen ?

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Noise is seldom a problem with modern PJs.

For paint you can start with a matt white wall if you have one smooth enough.

Painted hardboard/mdf works.

Screen Goo is expensive but is supposed to be better than ordinary white paint.

Blackout material over a frame works well, as does dedicated screen material though more expensive.

Ultimate DIY seems to be the lightfusion jobbie by the Mississippi mudman - have a look at the screen forum.

Off the shelf - wide array of pull down screens available, manual and electrical. You can also buy a fixed frame of course.

...PJ

7. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Well I have a Sony 42" rear prop/lcd tv at the moment. The pisture is giid but after going to the AV show in Bristol... my head was is a spin.

Do I up grade my tv to plasma or DLP... or a PJ???

For a good plasma you are still forking out a few grand and for me DLP suffer badly from chicken wire and rainbows!!!!

So I have just got myself a superb PT AE700 projector and the picture quality is sound!!!

My advice................................. the projector set up wins every time!!!

As for screen... I got a nice pull down screen that doesnt interfere with the rest of the room as its there when you need it and not if you dont and regardung lighting... some blackout blinds and heavier lined curtains for thepatio doors!! :smashin:

See my thread in home diy for the screen etc.