1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD Technology refresh rates

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by NeilGriffith, Apr 5, 2005.

1. NeilGriffith

NeilGriffith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Does anyone know of any LCD monitor/screen that will support a resolution of 1280 x 1024 and 90HZ+ Vertical refresh frequency?

Currently I am using a CRT monitor to display Stereo images, and for the stereo to work work correctly flicker free the refresh rate should be 90Hz at a minimum.

Many thanks

Neil

2. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    LCD's don't flicker, either connect via DVI @ 60Hz or D-Sub @ 75Hz, DVI is the way to go though, IMHO.

3. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    It's nothing to do with flicker, he's using shutter glasses to produce a true 3D (stereoscopic) picture - alternate frames viewed by each eye.

I'm afraid he's not going to get this to work on an LCD display, though. :( The latency is simply too high.

4. NeilGriffith

NeilGriffith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you explain what you mean by Latency???

Cheers

Neil

5. MorseKode

MorseKode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe he's referring to the response time - a decent LCD screen (with a response time of around 15ms) will be too slow to synchronise with the shutter glasses, resulting in the picture being a frame or so behind the glasses. It wouldn't look nice.

There are also polarisation problems with LCD glasses and LCD screens. Perhaps they've fixed it now. But you might not be able to see anything (unless you turn your head at an angle, thus negating the stereo effect!).

This is probably not what you wanted to hear, sorry. There are some 3D monitors out there which do not require glasses at all, but I'm sure they are very expensive (and not TVs).

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    When I bought my SGI workstation about 5 years back I was going to go for the stereo glasses. However since I went with the LCD monitor, it was not an option. I think this was due to incompatibilities with the two technologies.

7. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LCDs are too slow to refresh at 90Hz = 11ms field period.
    You need a nice sharp transition from one frame to the next - to sync up with the left/right shutter on the 3D glasses. An LCD may take up to 20ms to respond (depending on greyscale transition) so you'd end up with a blurred combination of the left and right images.

You might be able to do it with a plasma - not sure if they can reach 90Hz though.