1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD technology - am I expecting too much?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by kamza, Dec 30, 2004.

1. kamza

kamza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all

After months of trying to justify whether or not my bedroom needed an LCD, I decided to take the plunge and go for the Toshiba 27WL46 seeing as John Lewis were price matching Comet's price of £799.

OK, so I got the set home, set it up and....let's just say I'm a wee bit disappointed in it's performance. Ignoring the motion blur (I knew to expect a little bit of this), I feel that the picture is a but too bright...even by adjusting the brightness and contrast, it hardly makes a difference. The blacks seem grey and in general, the picture doesn't match my FQ75's. Is this perfectly normal?

Basically in the wife's bad books now as she was looking to spend the dosh elsewhere!

Any advice most greatly welcomed :confused: :rolleyes:

2. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I felt more or less the same way after unpacking my Toshiba 32wl48 for the living room. I was upgrading from second hand sony 28" trinitron widescreen whose picture i really enjoyed. However, thanks to the helpful people on this forum sharing their settings I was able to tweak the set and get a nice picture. I also invested in some QED scart cables to hookup the sky+ box which improved things more.

I had to shift things around in the living room to get a decent distance away from the tv and was then fully able to appreciate the screen. Via component input, dvds from my pioneer dv575 look awesome! We watched Shrek and Shrek 2 amongst other films over christmas and the family loved it! (all i need now is a 5.1 setup to complete things!)

I moved the 28" crt up to the bedroom (have a sky digi box here also). I hate the CRT now, its a sharp picture up close (one of my bug bears whilst researching before buying the lcd) but i know its only because the tv is low res and the signal is low res and as such most LCDs will show these low res signals for what they are. What are you viewing? Freeview? Sky? How is it connected? How far are you from the set? I couldn't go back to crt but am forced to into the bedroom. I would have loved to pick up a Tevion lcd but honestly cannot afford to buy anything else without feeling guilty! :blush:

I notice your model does not have component inputs. Any chance you can take the set back to John Lewis and just say you are not happy and get your money back? Then go for the 26wl46 which does have component in and see a dvd running in progressive scan over component.

Maybe someone can share their settings with you and help you get a better picture, assuming all your sources are connected in the best way possible. But if you aren't happy, take it back and hopefully get something else!

Good luck!

3. kwazemowdoe

kwazemowdoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also just ordered a 27WL46 from John Lewis. Saw that the 26WL46 had a five star rating in What Hi-Fi so this swung it for me.

JL oxford Street do not carry the stock so I have to wait a week for delivery.

I need to wall mount the Tosh but I'm worried - looking on the comet website it says "wall mountable - No" :rolleyes:

Zeno - can you confirm if that's the case? At the very least, can you take the supplied stand off the unti?