Lcd Standard Def

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by cedric, Jan 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. cedric

cedric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi All
    I have been to look at a few shops this morning and just cannot find anything that would make me buy!
    The reason being all of my viewing(surely along with most people?)is Standard Def or through a standard virgin box)
    Everything has poor definition on faces and blurring on movement
    What exactly is the cause of this? Expanding the picture to 1080?
    Until HD is more freely available at no extra cost(quite a long way off) would i be wasting my money?
    The best of a bad bunch to me was the c3030 Tosh 37 inch
    Having said that i couldnt view a panny px70 or the x or z 3030 --would these be any better?
    Are lcd,s likely to improve on this problem or is it just a case of only looking at ways to improve the screen on hd? When viewing them all on hd I can,t see that there is much difference
    I don,t think stores are being totally honest when displaying HD in store given you will not get that picture when viewing Standard Def
    It strikes me that LCD Technology is flawed given most people are only viewing SD
    Can somebody please recommed a screen that copes with movment --particularly sport:lease:

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    Well one thing I have learned is that by the amount of posts on this forum, people do not get on with large screens and Virgin SD, but the sets we have in our house connected to SKY+ give excellent results and most of them are not less than 18 months old, Tosh, Sharp, Philips.
    I must admit went into a neighbours house with Virgin and was not impressed with the quality on their new 42", in fact it was dreadful.

The other thing I have noticed is trying to see a properly set up SD soucre on a Shop LCD, recently brought a 26" Panasonic from Asda, excellent price but if I was to be swayed by the picture I watched in the shop I would have never have brought it, got it home, god it was terrible, but got it anyway and what an excellent Freeview picture, stunning set for the dining room.

The trouble with large screen sets is that they will show up ANY weakness in the source whereas a CRT seems to able to loose it.

It can be anything that causes it, incorrectly set up sources, i.e. left in composite PAL, 4:3, letterbox modes etc. But the biggest criminal is interconnect cables especially Scarts. How often do you see " I have my Sky/Virgin Box connected with a GOLD Scart cable and the picture is rubbish", well yes it will be as that Scart cable was most likely a £2.99 "Gold" specially from Asda, Tesco, now I am not talking about spending huge amounts on Cables but at least connect with something like a IXOS which can be found for £15, not a lot to spend considering the price of the LCD/Plasma in the first place.

3. Yemeth

Yemeth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +993
    You're shooting yourself in the foot if you buy an LCD tv solely for watching SD and expecting a good picture.

However, my Samsung 37" R88 does produce a decent RGB Virgin SD scart image with settings tweakings. :suicide:

If you want good SD performance, especially with sport, take the plasma route.