1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD Smearing?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by remdude, Aug 1, 2004.

1. remdude

remdude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi have just purchased a Panasonic LCD TV, Model No: TX-32LDX1.

I am extremely happy with the set when watching SKy via the RGB scart. But when I watch some DVD's (don't laugh, Dumb and Dumber and Babylon 5 Box Set) I get some sort of picture distortion, I think its refered to a smearing, basically peoples foreheads are staying still while the face moves around it, it looks really wierd.

However, when I watch newer DVDs, such as Lost In Translation and Underworld I dont get this distortion, nor when Im watching Sky. My DVD player is a Pioneer 575A and im using compenent out (it makes no difference if I use pregressive or interlaced output).

Why does this distortion only occur on some DVDs and not others, and is there a way to minimise it?

Thanks for your help

REMDUDE

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Sounds like it's a noise reduction feature (probably in the TV) that's trying to remove something it thinks is noise (grain) but isn't. Not familiar with this set, but if there is a menu option which seems to be anything to do with picture noise reduction (and it may be called by any sort of odd name - the manual might help by describing what certain options actually do) turn it off and leave it off. Check the DVD player out for something similar, too.

3. remdude

remdude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Nigel, I turned off the BNR setting on DVD player and this worked a treat.

Thanks again.

REMDUDE

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Good. On the whole, DVDs should produce a clean, noise-free image anyway. So, I'm a bit mystified as to why DVD player mfgs feel it necessary to provide such a feature. In general, a good LCD will be (in some respects) more revealing of artefacts in the signal than a CRT. Pretty much anything in the source that "processes" the signal is best left off.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Funny how keen all the manufacturers are on signal processing, when most agree it's a bad thing. Not mentioning any large Dutch companies here of course, as being a prime example.

6. Beck

Beck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I'm interested in your discussion of the Panasonic TX32LXD1 having had mine delivered over the weekend. Although extremely pleased with the styling the picture quality is leaving me cold at the moment. I'm experiencing significant smearing while watching Sky and am desperately hoping there are settings I can tweak to recify the problem. It's a shocking waste of money if not. I would be grateful for any advice on this as I'm very much an amateur in this area and don't really know where to start......

Cheers