Lcd Size For Room

suni

Standard Member
ive posted up a few times now, but as im sure you all know the more you research you do the more questions you get, on my part this is becoming indecision now.

I want to get a LCD tv in the near future. its going to be in my bedroom and hooked up to an xbox360. will be watching dvds throught the xbox aswell.

well just a quick few questions, the bedroom is 16 ft by 16 ft. so its fairly large. i will probably be 10-12 ft away from the tv. Will a 32" tv be big enough for a room this size? or is a 37" - 40" suit the room better ?

secondly on my shortlist of tvs is,
TOSHIBA 32WLT58
SAMSUNG LE32M61
SAMSUNG LE40M61
SONY KDLV33A12U
SONY KDLV40A12U
PHILLIPS 32PF9830
PANASONIC TX-32LXD500/600
BUDGET IS £1200 TO £2000

from the tv im looking for great performance with the xbox360, good colour display, and no motion blur with fast moving scenes and of course great h-def diplays

would appreciate all feedback and opinnions

Tempest

Distinguished Member
To be honest, if you are sitting 10ft to 12ft away I'd say you're not going to get the best from a 32" screen.

I'd say go for a 37" (42" possible overkill depending on room design/layout)

If you sit too far away you're not really going to appreciate the quality a modern hi-def set (potentially) can give you.

I have mine (37" Tosh) set up for a 9ft viewing distance, and I'd say it's perfect at this distance.

For me, I find the "typical" moans about quality of terrestrial TV dissapear at 3x from screen.

I have heard (from others) a good rule of thumb (with modern LCD's) is 3x screen size = ideal viewing distance.

So, using that formula: 37" x 3 = 111" or in other words 9.25ft

As you can see, I'm almost spot on this 3x calculation.

Trust me, if you get a 32" after a few days/weeks you're gonna start thinking, oh perhaps I should have got a larger one.

Just my thoughts. As for me, even at 9ft away, I would not want a 32" screen if I wanted to "ENJOY" my viewing. Don't get me wrong, a 32" would be easily viewable, but you'd get INTO the program more by going up a step.

Just my thoughts.

======== EDIT ========

Just read the end of your post:

The Toshiba 37" would exactly hit the bottom of your budget, It gives a SUPERB picture via component from an Xbox360, no tearing/smearing issues I have ever noticed on games.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom