1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lcd siting...

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by saint123, Jun 7, 2005.

1. saint123

saint123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    guys...i'm thinking of taking the plunge into lcd...particularly interested in
    the toshiba 27wl56 at the moment...had a look at the on line user manual
    and it says not to place tv in direct sunlight...the tv would go into a corner
    with a small window behind it...any one had any probs with similar sitings...
    thanks

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I think there are two answers here.

The instructions probably relate to the display not being subject to the heat that would occur when being placed in direct sunlight. So if it gets pretty warm when the sun is out, best not to site it there. I think this would apply to other electrical items also. However, some LCD's have internal heat sensors that will shut down the display if it gets too warm.

Second, direct sunlight on the display screen is not so much of a problem with standard LCD technology - its a bit different with those that have glass panels on the front. My display sits directly facing a large picture window and I sit infront of the window, with it behind me. In the morning, the screen is covered with dappled sunlight but there is little sign of reflection so the picture is perfectly normal to watch. With my old CRT, this was a nightmare, with reflections preventing the areas of screen with sunlight on being totally unwatchable.

-Ian