LCD Shop Displays

Tesla

Established Member
Reaction score
I am just curious as to how different shops have displayed (merchandised) there smaller size LCD (13" - 23").

In out store we have about 20 LCD in that size range and the display they are on looks poor.

So, how do you display yours?

Tesla said:
I am just curious as to how different shops have displayed (merchandised) there smaller size LCD (13" - 23").

In out store we have about 20 LCD in that size range and the display they are on looks poor.

So, how do you display yours?

Which store is that, is this a retailer to retailer question? :confused:

I work in Comet. Our store is getting judged in a months time and who ever has the best looking section (my section is TVs) wins a Home Cinema in a box.

Would go well replacing my parents pro-logic kit so I wouldn't mind winning it for them.

The CRT, Large LCD and Plasma are all displayed well but the small LCD display is rubbish. I never done the display but i'm not sure how to make it better.

So the questions is directed at other retailers of any stores but if you have seen a good display then post up what it was.

Thanks.

Sorry, I was thinking of the LCD and plasma displays that have recently appeared in my local Tesco (Gatwick), but these are used for advertising purposes only (they have them hanging off the ceiling and over some of the shelves). The only interesting display of retail LCDs I have seen was in my local Currys, where they had them in a kind of 'LCD tree' arrangement with about sixteen displays, all mounted on a central stand in sort of four by four videowall. The stand was not against a wall so people can see all the connections at the back to each display. :)

Tesla said:
I work in Comet. Our store is getting judged in a months time and who ever has the best looking section (my section is TVs) wins a Home Cinema in a box.
The CRT, Large LCD and Plasma are all displayed well but the small LCD display is rubbish.

Connecting the sets to a decent input would be a pretty radical idea. Im sure noone else at Comet does that so it would be a winner for sure ;) If you need help on what is a decent input, im sure people here can give some further advice. :devil:

The more popular 13"-15" are connected up to a DVD player. I managed to get a pretty good picture on 5 LCD off of one DVD player. Much much better than the usual coax feed anyway.

As much as i want to I cant have a dvd and dvd player for each tv though. :thumbsdow

Tesla said:
I managed to get a pretty good picture on 5 LCD off of one DVD player. Much much better than the usual coax feed anyway.

Im sorry, but that about says it all. I was having a browse a few weeks back and spotted for the first time a Hitachi 37PD5200. It was next to a Philips plasma of same size but the PQ was awful, interference etc. It was clearly an issue with the RF input, but, with £3000 potentially at stake (not that I would have bought from Comet anyway), the sales representative refused to swap round the RF lead. I didn't even bother to ask to see it hooked up to a DVD player.

Tesla, apologies for this sounding like a personal attack, its not. Its ingrained into the Comet mentality.

DVDcake said:
Sorry, I was thinking of the LCD and plasma displays that have recently appeared in my local Tesco (Gatwick), but these are used for advertising purposes only (they have them hanging off the ceiling and over some of the shelves). The only interesting display of retail LCDs I have seen was in my local Currys, where they had them in a kind of 'LCD tree' arrangement with about sixteen displays, all mounted on a central stand in sort of four by four videowall. The stand was not against a wall so people can see all the connections at the back to each display. :)

I went into Tesco's flagship store in Kensington the other day. They had about 6 - 8 Panasonic plasmas hanging above the main aisle and a Panasonic 15 inch LCD hanging above many of the individual aisles.

Certainly impressed me!

As for in-store displays for LCDs/Plasmas, I'm sure you haven't quite got the same amount of money to play with but nothing beat Harrods' sound and vision department. :thumbsup:

The best place to find well calibrated screens as far as I am concerned is in shopping centres and in pubs. I find it quite funny walking out of dixons in to a shopping centre and see the plasmas/lcds on display in dixons put to shame. The pubs and shopping centres put a lot of time to hang the screens where they are best viewed and making a statement.

I could take my DVE to work and set them all up. Our average customer wouldnt be able to tell the difference though.

You will be amazed of the number of people who decline my offer of either hooking up a DVD to a TV that they have decided to buy and even more amazed at the number of people who buy hifi purely based on looks. It makes me laugh that these people spend all there money without doing this.

I always offer but very few people actually are interested.

The display in the Comet I work in doesnt sound too bad then as the larger Plasma are all hooked up to DVD and the most popular LCD are hooked up to DVD.

Admitidly not all the LCD have an RGB signal but composite > poor coax

If it was down to Currys or Comet to give me an idea of PQ on LCD's I would never buy one in my life! I've never seen such crappy signals being passed through them, it amazes me that anyone ever buys them! Funnily enough the first time I ever saw a good picture on an LCD was like most people in Tesco! Embarrassing that a screen used to advertise a £2 bottle of shampoo gives you a better insight to LCD PQ then the store that is trying to sell you the actual screen!

From my experience of stores like Comet it wouldn't take much at all to win that comp...

You know those Scart splitters that can have 5 scarts inputs going into one output, well given that Scart is none directional surely there is a model available with a switch to switch it to one input to 5 outputs? If there was such a thing then you would only need one or two DVD players to feed several screens, even if you attach one to the other to give you nine outputs from the DVD (assuming you are using 2 5 socket splitters and assuming such a thing exists!)

Obviously there would be some quality dip, but even a multiple split scart connection must wipe the floor with the crappy RF feed they currently use, if it's anything like my local Comet that is...

Then you just need to worry about getting them nicely stacked in a display...

Apnomis. I use the scart splitters in the way you have described at present.

Is it better to use a scart splitter or the signal pass through on some TV?

That's true I didn't think about using S-Video, if it's possible on your screens I would use S-Video to improve the picture further. Those s-video distribution amps look very good, depends if your boss will let you buy one, as I doubt Comet sell anything like that...

As for whether having the scart split at source or daisy chained through the TV passthrus I'm not sure. In my mind the picture being split at source and travelling through one cable to the TV would give better picture than going in and out of TV's along several cables, but that is just my assumption...

As I said anything is better than my local Comet, on some of the LCD TV's they just have a terrestrial TV picture showing, some of them it's either not tuned in or no aerial attached as the picture is really fussy, which in turn makes the LCD look really blocky and crap. I keep saying it but it amazes me they sell any...

Oh and make sure you use good quality cables too!

As you may or may not know at Comet we sale the Monster range of leads.

I actually tried a Monster 1, and 3 on a Panny 42" Plasma. The difference between the two genuinely shcoked me.

On my own TV I havnt ever used anything but decent leads but on the other 28" in our house we upgraded the leads from standard freebies to high quality plated/shielded leads and the sharpness increased loads (not artificial sharpness).

But the entire picture quality on the plasma increased ten-fold between the two leads.

For that reason all the Plasma use the monster 3 leads. So far i think the picture i have running on the major TV isn't so bad afterall.

I dont have work for 2 weeks anyway so imagine when i go back in I will have to do a major merchandising job.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will chain the Plasma together with an SVideo signal and try and persuade the boss to let me use a few more DVD players off of display.

If you can, put them on a big stand so that people can walk around them. The same goes for plasmas, put them so that people can walk around them and actually *see* how thin they are. Picture Quality does make a *huge* difference. I noticed my local dixons had 'Finding Nemo' running on most of their screens and it really makes a huge difference.

I remember being in a Sony Store about two years ago when I was looking for a TV and they had a plasma on the wall and a CRT below. The plasma obviously had a bad bad input while the TV had Freeview on it. I couldn't help but notice how bad the plasma looked. I put it down to Plasmas obviously being cr*p quality.

Now I know a lot better and have educated myself loads as far as plasmas and LCDs go but it just goes to show that I (someone that didn't know the meaning of quality inputs at the time) decided then and there that Plasmas were noway nearly as good as CRTs and were in no way a viable alternative, even ignoring the price, fit only for limited space environments.

Phil

I was in a Dixons store the other week and the focus of their display was a Panny Viera 42", it was at the front of all the others and that too had Finding Nemo running (all the others just had some crappy analogue signal going to them). If I had been a plasma newbie and was looking to buy one from there then I would of got the Viera with out thinking twice, it was the only one that not only looked as good as CRT, it looked better, even at close viewing distance.

However you decide to hook them up get a couple of Pixar films running on them, there is nothing better for showing off the best in the screen because of the good strong colours and solid image. I recommend having half running Finding Nemo and the other half running maybe Monsters Inc.

The effect is two fold, strong colourful visuals to attract attention, easy film to bring out the best in the screen, and most importantly it will attract every youngster in the store (complete with their parents). I'm not into marketing or anything but I would wager that someone walking past a dull film wouldn't look twice, or a least wont watch it for very long, but people with young children will happily stand their with them for at least 5 minutes while their little 'un watches Nemo. And while they're waiting they can stand and think about how nice that would look in their house, then the kid can go home and tell daddy that they want a big Nemo too! lol

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom