Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

LCD screen signal

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by matt_s, Nov 29, 2004.

Tags:
  1. matt_s

matt_s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

Apologies if this is a bit of an obvious question.

I am considering buying an LCD screen (isn't everyone!) and I am pretty sure I will go for the 26" Sharp if I can track one down!

I only have a regular analogue TV aerial though. I want to use the screen for watching DVD's and also TV.

Any comments on how this will look would be much appreciated?!

And also how can I get a digital signal? By adding a freeview box maybe? I don't really want to get Sky at the moment.

Thanks for your help!

Matt

2. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt,

It really depends on how good a reception you get. Most people will agree that, whilst LCDs are capable of producing fantastic pictures from a good source, they are not tolerant of a poor quality input. I don't have an aerial and only watch TV via my Sky box - from good channels the picture is excellent, but with one of the cheap & nasty channels which broadcasts on a low bit-rate it's unwatchable (though, to be fair, it would be regardless of picture quality!)

Freeview will give you a digital signal, but again the quality of your reception will affect the picture. Go to http://www.freeview.co.uk/ and type in your postcode to find out if your area is covered.

I've seen the 26" Sharp in a shop local to me and with the ropey feed they gave it, it looked great from about 3m. Any closer and you would need a good signal IMHO.