1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD screen for Office "powerpoints"

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by _steve, Oct 22, 2005.

1. _steve

_steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been given the task of buying two LCD screens for work, with the aim of them being located in the reception area / meeting room area, and i'm struggling to find a solution.

One option is buy a 'normal' LCD, hook up a small PC, and have it networked so it runs a standard powerpoint slideshow. This means expense with the PC, plus all the cabling and hassle.

Another option is to author a DVD in house, get a cheapo tiny DVD player from asda or similar, and try to hide this behind the screen.

But, what i've seen on the market is LCD TV's with memory card readers, which would be ideal if we could load up 100 jpgs onto a card, pop the card into the TV slot, and then ask the TV to slideshow the jpegs.

Does this last option sound feasible? has anyone done something similar before? - shopping around the high street the sales-people do not have a clue about the memory card capability, i've found that Panasonic have this feature, and the LG LP1D, but i've not had chance to test them out to see if a continuous slideshow with looping is possible.

The memory card TV's are expensive, so i'm sort of torn between this option and a DVD player hidden behind the screen.

Any ideas to help me out would be greatly appreciated folks :)

2. celeronmanuk

celeronmanuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about an LCD with an integrated DVD player? That's what i've got in my bedroom because it's so much neater than a seperate dvd player.

3. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    You could hook each one up to a PDA capable of driving it, or put a media box type streamer on each screen and stream video from a PC in the office?
    PCs are cheap though really, and you could probably run both screens from one PC using a dual header graphics card (or just a VGA splitter if same image on both)

4. _steve

_steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks chaps - didn't realise you could run a big screen off a PDA, i'll have a look at that option.

I made an error in the original question - the 2 screens are separate, not a side by side setup :)

I did try looking for a LCD with built in DVD, but couldn't see any in the 32" to 40" range.

After pricing up a tiny PC to run the screen, using ITX based components, with the small case, the low profile memory, the special PSU, the 2.5" HDD, the extra bits needed for wireless networking, the slimline DVD drive, i got to a silly price, then i got a spam e-mail from our PC World Business account rep, advertising Toshiba L10 laptops with XP Pro, 15" screen, wifi, DVD writer built in for £479 !! So i think i've found the answer - get a Unicol trolley with a small shelf under the TV to rest the laptop on, keep the lid closed, and it should look okay, if we decide to allow reception visitors to interact with any showreels on the screen, we can simply open the laptop up and let them play :)

Now i've got the fun task of buying 2 laptops, 2 screens, 2 trolleys this week - all on the company credit card ! LOL :) I love spending other peoples money !