1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD Screen Burn

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by prezz, May 6, 2005.

1. prezz

prezz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking at buying an LCD soon & was wondering whether screen burn is a potential problem, what with some channels sticking a logo in the corner of your screen like it or not! Anybody have any info on this, or is it not a problem? Thanks in advance :)

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I wouldn't worry about it. Even if it did happen, and there are only two incidents of LCD screen burn reported in the whole world ;), it would only be temporary.

3. prezz

prezz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, thanks for that m8!

4. catdna

catdna
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make that 3 - I fell asleep watching Sky the other night on our bedroom LCD - the channel closed down about 3 in the morning with a 'Programs continue at 3pm' message (or similar).

I noticed that the screen (Panasonic TX22?) had the image 'burned in' for quite a while afterwards (a good 3-4 hours) - I also get the same effect from playing GTA/San Andreas for a good 5-6 hours (but the wife doesn't usually allow that ;-))

The burn-in was gone after a few hours but it was quite worrying !

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    The big, big difference, between LCD (or DLP) and Plasma (or CRT) is that any residual image is bound to be temporary; LCD and DLP technologies cannot be permanently damaged to any visible degree by displaying a static image. Whereas true screen burn (permanent dimming of parts of the screen) is a potential issue for both Plasma and CRT.

6. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    It is indeed chronic on plasmas used for display purposes, we often wondered who on earth was gonna buy the plasmas stolen from the university last year - if you ever watch pub football and there is a "Warwick Hospitality" logo in the corner let us know :)

7. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Going off on a complete tangent, does anyone remember the early 80's arcade machines like Outun that permanently had "INSERT COIN" burned into the centre of the screen?

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Now you are going back a long time. Yes I can remember outrun having this issue and a few other arcades games. :)