1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD / Scaler advice required

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sounddog, Feb 24, 2003.

1. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    Hi

I've got a friend who is looking at buying a Projector for a new HC setup.

He's been advised to buy a Sanyo PLV-30 and a Silicon Image iScan Pro Line Doubler. Now while I know a lot about the sound side of HC ... projectors are an unknown for me.

How good is the Sanyo (he's been quoted £1000), does he really need the line doubler with it ... or would he be better spending the £1700 (he's got quoted discount but thats all been lumped together on his quote so he can't compare actual cost of the projector easily) that he's been quoted for the proj + line doubler on a better projector?

He's been quoted for an Arcam DV88+, which is okay ...

Thanks for your help
    Vikki

2. JRPaynter

JRPaynter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vikki, the iScan will improve just about every PJ that does not have a built in processor.
    It works well with the PLV30 and is great with the new PLV- Z1 and the SharpZ90.
    If you went for an Infocus X1 or the Optoma H50 then you would not need the iScan

Jeff Paynter
    Horsham Hi-Fi and Home Cinema

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The Sanyo PLV30 is yesterdays news, it was about £2.5K when it first came out and is a 4:3 800*600 projector. Its performance is easily beaten by the likes of newer models such as the Panasonic AE100 available for £799 at the moment and the Sanyo Z1 at around £1300 being a suitable step up. The two newer PJ's both benefit from having true widescreen panels. Both can be enhanced by the use of an Iscan but personally I would put all my money into a Sony HS10 at £2100 which has a reasoanble internal scaler and benefits from a much higher resolution panel of 1368*768 and so virtually illiminates screen door.

Its the same as the music side really, try and dem the shortlist and see what your friend feels suits him best.

As far as the DVD player is concerned the DV88+ with internal PS and a Iscan doesn't make much sense unless he wants the Iscan to scale the picture from Sky etc.. If its to go through an Iscan and its the older DV88 then you'd be as well to go with something like a Tosh 220 which will provide similar prescaled images to the DV88.

I haven't used an Iscan myself but many people report lipsync problems with them.