1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lcd Samsung 40"

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by 3rdeye, Oct 24, 2003.

1. 3rdeye

3rdeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI,

I've brought a LCD 40' Inch Samsung Screen.

Now when you connect it up to an Sky Digital the picture is not so clear.

Is there something wrong i am doing or so i need something to convert the signals ?

Thanks

Davendra

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    Welcome to the world of large screen LCD.

Ensure that your $ky box is outputting RGB via SCART, that you use a fully wired Scart to the TV and that the TV is picking up RGB. Check out the manuals for the equipment for details on how to do this - for example - you may need to use a specific SCART on the TV (usually AV1).

If you have DVD - you can also check the quality of the SCART cable by using it for the DVD (again, using RGB). If the picture quality is still as bad, consider replacing the SCART cable. If it isn't then you know the cable is reasonsable.

Once that is all checked and working and you are sure the picture is going via RGB, anything else you see will be a consequence of the often poor standards of $ky broadcasting on many of their channels, and the fact that you have a large, high performance TV which will reveal everything that is wrong with the source.

But - do bear in mind - if your new TV is significantly larger than its predecessor - a TV picture only contains a finite amount of detail. A large screen can never increase the true amount of detail beyond what is there in the signal; the best it can do is guesstimate what the detail might have looked like had it been there, based on what actually is there. The end result of this is often a slight softness. Consequently, an enlarged TV picture (on any type of screen) will always look subjectively softer than the same picture at a small size.

If the effect you are seeing is excessive pixellation on busy scenes, you may want to consider using Freeview which is generally better quality than $ky's equivalent free channels and many of the payTV ones.

3. 3rdeye

3rdeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you I'll give that a go.