1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD review

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by richjthorpe, Dec 13, 2004.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Home Cinema mag has reviewed a number of LCD screens, 4 from the 32" range and 4 from the 37".

In the 32" range, the Sharp GD1E, Tosh 46, the new Sony and the Philips 986 went up against each other. Surprisingly, the Sony came last saying it had issues with blurring, the Tosh came third saying is was a great little unit, Sharp was a close second but was rated 5/5 and the Philips edged the Sharp due to the Pixel Plus 2 technology.

In the 37" range, a Panny Viera, Sony, Sharp GD1 and Philips. I can't remember the results of the Panny and Philips but Sony won this round and I was amazed when I saw the Sharp only got 3/5 rating. They said it was full of grain issues and at £4500, they would expect a better picture.

Must say, I wasn't impressed with the 37GA3E in JL when I tested it. Although I only connected it through RGB scart and used the settings on this board from APC, it was good but even my wife saw the bad PQ.

Richie.

2. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    That's weird that the Sharp 32" and 37" GD1E screens should be rated so differently. They have the same technology and come out of the same factory.

And I don't understand how they had trouble with blurring on the Sony - all their current models I have seen in the shops look quick to me. Which model was it?

I worry about how reliable these magazine reviews are.

Something else I have noticed about magazine reviews of LCD screens is that they always seem to be rather behind the latest models available in the shops. Hi-fi separates seem to be reviewed long before they are available anywhere, but with LCD screens it seems to be the other way around.

James

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I believe it was the KDL-L32MRX1 (Just had a look on the Sony site).

4. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    James,
    I agree, magazine reviews are not that reliable. Maybe they do not like to offend their major advertisers? It is very difficult to decide on what you read or even what you see in the shops!

JimG